• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D500 & 200-500mm carrying strap/technique (1 Viewer)

Wells Gray

United States
I just recently purchase a Nikon d500 & Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 lens(arriving soon). I would like to have strap or carrying technique that can keep my hands free to still use binoculars/cell phone/etc while birding.
I've read online that it would be best to attach a strap via the lens foot instead of camera so to not damage camera from weight of lens hanging off. I've also read some attach the strap to both (1 point to the camera, the other to the lens), which would be best and wouldn't cause damage?
I'm also torn between the Peak Design Slide and the Black Rapid Sport... so if anyone has this combo or a recommendation it would be appreciated.

I just recently purchase a Nikon d500 & Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 lens(arriving soon). I would like to have strap or carrying technique that can keep my hands free to still use binoculars/cell phone/etc while birding.
I've read online that it would be best to attach a strap via the lens foot instead of camera so to not damage camera from weight of lens hanging off. I've also read some attach the strap to both (1 point to the camera, the other to the lens), which would be best and wouldn't cause damage?
I'm also torn between the Peak Design Slide and the Black Rapid Sport... so if anyone has this combo or a recommendation it would be appreciated.
I use the Peak Design and I clip both ends to the 200-500 via this iShoot QS-80 Quick Release Plate. The plate fits into my Wimberley head or any other Arca-Swiss clamp if necessary. It has a camera strap hole to which I have attached the two Peak Design anchors; and, more importantly, has two lugs at one end which prevent it rotating on the lens foot (the 200-500 foot has a single tripod securing thread so there is no possibility of a second screw through the plate as on the 500 pf, for instance).

The Peak Design slide sits very firmly on one shoulder with the non-slip backing.

I have been so pleased with the Peak Design that I have converted all my cameras to fit. I have attached anchors links to the end of my existing Nikon straps so that I can attach them quickly if I want the camera round my neck or over a shoulder but am strap free when using a tripod or a long lens.

The 200-500 is great lens and with a closer focussing distance than the 500 pf is ideal for garden bird shots although I also carried it everywhere until I got the 500, which is lighter and smaller in the field. (And the reputation of the D500 speaks for itself.)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back