• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus specialities - info required (1 Viewer)

dan pointon

Can't Stop
Hi all,

I've now visited Cyprus twice (family hols with birding chucked in), once in mid summer and once at the beginning of the winter period, and as a result have seen the majority of the specialities/scarcer birds to be found on the island.

However this autumn i'm on the island again from the 18th of Ocotber till the 1st of November, and i've got a few target species which I still haven't connected with. These are:

Pied Kingfisher
Wallcreeper
Black Vulture
Calandra Lark
Pallid Swift
Egyptian Vulture
Cory’s Shearwater
Long Legged Buzzard
Moustached Warbler
Marsh Sandpiper
Tawny Pipit
Red Throated Pipit
Audouin's Gull

The top 6 are my main targets, as these are birds i've not seen anywhere, however information on where to see any of these species would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Ring the Birdline Cyprus 06-270447 when you get there. I twitched pied kingfisher from its info a couple of years ago at Akna dam.

Hey Dan

have you seen Cyprus Pied Wheatear and Cyprus Warbler? Both easy around Bellapais monastery, kyrenia, northern Cyprus. You can get the two hour ferry over to Tasuju in Turkey where you can then see many of those speces on yuor list easily, plus several more goodies like Masked Shrike, Upcher's Warbler, Collared Pratincole etc...

Tim Allwood said:
Hey Dan

have you seen Cyprus Pied Wheatear and Cyprus Warbler? Both easy around Bellapais monastery, kyrenia, northern Cyprus. You can get the two hour ferry over to Tasuju in Turkey where you can then see many of those speces on yuor list easily, plus several more goodies like Masked Shrike, Upcher's Warbler, Collared Pratincole etc...

Yup have had all that lot Tim...apart from Upcher's. Thanks for the help so far everyone....

dan pointon said:
Hi all,

I've now visited Cyprus twice (family hols with birding chucked in), once in mid summer and once at the beginning of the winter period, and as a result have seen the majority of the specialities/scarcer birds to be found on the island.

However this autumn i'm on the island again from the 18th of Ocotber till the 1st of November, and i've got a few target species which I still haven't connected with. These are:

Pied Kingfisher
Wallcreeper
Black Vulture
Calandra Lark
Pallid Swift
Egyptian Vulture
Cory’s Shearwater
Long Legged Buzzard
Moustached Warbler
Marsh Sandpiper
Tawny Pipit
Red Throated Pipit
Audouin's Gull

The top 6 are my main targets, as these are birds i've not seen anywhere, however information on where to see any of these species would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Possibly a bit late for some of these mate, try the cypus birdlife international website (i think) or mention it next time we speak.

Phill

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back