• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus last week of September (1 Viewer)

LMN

Student
Hi

I'm going on a family holiday to Agia Napa in the last week of September. Does any of you have info on good spots that can be reached nearby preferebly with weather and warbler? Are there any bird of prey migration over the Cape Grecco peninsula.

We plan to have car for three days. How log does it take to drive to the Limasol area (Kensington etc.)? And what else is worth to go for on a non birding holiday?

cheers

LM

The E4 trail runs eastwards from near the Grecian Sands hotel at eastern end of Ayia Napa. This connects with a network of trails around the Cape Greco and Protaras Bay areas at SE corner of Cyprus which are good birding areas. In November last year I saw Rock Thrush, Blue Rock Thrush, Red-throated Pipit, Cyprus Warbler, Fan-tailed Warbler, Spectacled Warbler, Common Sandpiper, Cattle Egret, Woodlark, Black Redstart and Stonechat. Migration season should be much better, but this is also an active hunting area.

Paralimni Lake just north of Ayia Napa is a prime birding area, but was dry when I was there. Limassol area and Akrotiri peninsula can be reached in 60-90 minutes. Larnaca salt lake and Oroklini marsh at eastern end of Larnaca, are well worth a visit on the way. If you contact the Cyprus bird recorder Colin Richardson ([email protected]) prior to your visit, you can subscribe to a regular newsletter detailing all scarce sightings in Cyprus.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back