• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus in September (1 Viewer)

AndyD

We are considering a holiday in Cyprus in early September. Most people seem to go in Spring and we wondered if the birding is any good later in the year. We've never been to Cyprus before and would appreciate any guidance re Autumn birding, best places to stay etc. Thanks.

I'm sure Cyprus is brilliant in Sept. We've been three times and had a great holiday on each occasion, twice in Spring and once in late October. Have you checked out the trip reports on the OSME and Fatbirder websites?
Also, you can get the 2000 annual report of the Cyprus Ornithological Society on line--try Googling.
You can find my trip reports on my website (URL below; just click on "wildlife" and then on the Cyprus bits).
Start with: http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/europe/cyprus.html
and http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.lamsdell/

Last edited:
AndyD said:
We are considering a holiday in Cyprus in early September. Most people seem to go in Spring and we wondered if the birding is any good later in the year. We've never been to Cyprus before and would appreciate any guidance re Autumn birding, best places to stay etc. Thanks.

Went in September 8 or 9 years ago, so not very up to date, one thing it is bl**dy hot!! Hired a car with A/C just to cool off during the day. We stayed at Limassol (not out of choice, it was one of those last minute don't know where you are staying jobs) and spent a lot of time round Akrotiri (the lake was a dust bowl but the nearby marshes still had water) but still got some good birds though (nearly got arrested for looking at a Kingfisher on the fence at Akrotiri base!! at one point had an army Landrover, 2 patrol boats, a Cypriot police 4WD and an army helicopter shadowing us!! honestly). It was really good for birds though, lots of raptors came in to roost in the evening, mainly harriers (monty's pallids and marsh) unfortunately the locals were not adverse to taking potshots at them...very unpleasant and they absolutely slaughtered the Bee-eaters that were preying on bees from the local hives, saw one flock of 200 reduced to half that number in less than an hour! Swore I'd never go back.
Changing the subject Paphos lighthouse was excellent for migrants and also waders on the shore and Aspro dam was pretty good too. Had fantastic views of flocks of Red-footed Falcons and Hobbies hawking insects over the main road near Paphos airport (nearly got arrested there as well, this time by the Cypriot army) and Black Francolin's were easy to see nearby.
Also visited the Troodos mountains, mainly because it was cooler, didn't see an awful lot there although we did get lots of Cyprus Pied Wheatear.
Akamas peninsula was good for scrub warblers but you had to be there early as the heat was almost unbearable.
Hope you have a good trip and that EU membership has helped control the shooting/trapping on the island.

Nick

AndyD said:

Thanks for your comments folks. Very helpful. If we do go I'll maybe do a trip report and post it on the site.

Andy

Plus Kyrenia or Girne as the Turks call it is an easy spot to pick up Cyprus Warbler and Cyprus Pied Wheatear at the Bellapais Monastery and it's a beautiful place to boot.

Tim Allwood said:
Plus Kyrenia or Girne as the Turks call it is an easy spot to pick up Cyprus Warbler and Cyprus Pied Wheatear at the Bellapais Monastery and it's a beautiful place to boot.
I'll go along with that Tim and don't forget all the reservoirs and the Karpas,the Bee eaters are back at Bellapais as well as the nesting Hobby.

Back to the south, early September is the best time for flocks of Demoiselle Cranes dropping in to roost at Akrotiri.

The problems of risking getting arrested seem to be largely a thing of the past as we have had no problems on our last three visits over the past eight years; back in the 80's I was arrested by the Cyprus police for birding from a road near Polemidhia dam north of Limassol, and like a previous member had a helicopter and landrovers check me out at Akrotiri salt-lake.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back