• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current Sightings (1 Viewer)

VonMaunder

United States
Thought I'd throw a little life into the Maine page by randomly listing what I'm currently seeing, most will be from the homestead here in the woods. Feel free to add your own current sightings here.

Thus far this am:
Ruffed Grouse
Osprey
Broad-winged Hawk
Pine Warbler,
Purple Finch
Goldfinch
Downy woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Dark-eyed Junco
Hairy Woodpecker
Mourning Dove
Black-capped Chickadee
Robin
Hermit Thrush
Blue Jay
Chipping Sparrow

Hermit Thrush
Goldfinch
White Throated Sparrow
Hairy Woodpecker
Black-capped Chickadee
Red Breasted Nuthatch
Dark eyed Junco
Turkey Vulture
Broad-Winged Hawk
Palm Warbler
Myrtle Warbler
Pine Warbler
Mourning Dove
Robin

Heard, not seen:
Chipping Sparrow
Winter Wren

Red-Winged Blackbird, warily at the feeder.
Blue Jay,
White Throated Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Pair of Hermit Thrush, I gather the returned couple from the last few seasons, they have on occasion perched on the chair arm next to me for closer inspection.
Hairy Woodpecker
Blue Headed Vireo AKA Solitary Vireo...Showed up yesterday.
Pine Warbler
Tufted Titmouse, present all Winter, a first here.
Black Capped Chickadee, setting up a nest in a dead pine snag.
Downy Woodpecker
Herring Gull flyover
Winter Wren, heard, unseen.
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
Chipmunk, rechecking the divots turned over by a nocturnal skunk.
ETA: Broad-Winged Hawk calling from back in around its nest site and....Blackflies.

Morning homestead:
Broad-Winged Hawk flew over with frog in its talons.
Pine warbler, perched on the spindle of a table I was sitting at, looked to be eyeing my coffee...
Dark-eyed Junco
Hairy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Eastern Phoebe

Lunch by a small pond:
Myrtle Warblers
Nashville Warbler, FOY
Red-Winged Blackbird
4 Mallards, likely some of the 12 ducklings from a pair last Spring
Purple Finch
Goldfinch
Tree Sparrow

5/1/24:
Tree Sparrow
Tree Swallow
Nashville Warbler
Myrtle Warbler
Broad-Winged Hawk flyover with a vole in its talons
Black Vulture
These guys:
IMG_0904.jpg
IMG_0899.jpg

5/3:
Immature Bald Eagle flyover
Resident Broad-Winged Hawk
Pine Warbler
Tufter Titmouse
Red-Breasted Nuthatch
Hairy Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Blue-Headed Vireo
Hermit Thrush
Myrtle Warbler
Dark-Eyed Junco
Brown Creeper
Black-Capped Chickadee
Timberdoodle AKA Bogsucker, American Woodcock

A late run out to a raised peat bog or heath, passing 2 perched Bald Eagle, streamside, no doubt after the alewives running.
Trail to bog overlook:
Northern Parula, FOY
Black-Throated Green Warbler, heard but unseen.
2 Downy Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
At the bog proper:
2 Northern Harrier, I distant female soaring, 1 Male close and hunting, nice long view of the latter.
4 Turkey Vulture
Unidentified Sparrows, flitting in/out of brushy cover

At the Audubon Center on the way back, from one spot 20 yds into the trail for 35 min:
Brown Creeper
Blue Headed Solitary Vireo
Black & White Warbler
Chestnut sided Warbler
Pine Warbler
Palm Warbler
White Breasted Nuthatch
Black Throated Green Warbler
Ovenbird, walking through an apparent buffet, taxed the near focus of the Zeiss
Purple Finch
Goldfinch
Blue Jay

IMG_0910 (1).jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

Woken this am by the hoot of a Great Horned Owl perched on a dead limb of a White Pine outside the window, have only heard them here once in 30 years, not that they may not frequent more often but this is more Barred terrain. Saw it fly off with another calling further back in the woods. Nice of them to drop by.
Went down the road this afternoon to check on the alewife slaughter by Bald Eagle, found 7 perched streamside, probably waiting for an osprey to come in and do the dirty work:)
Ovenbird returned to the homestead last night.
_27P7338.jpg

_27P7356.jpg

_27P7365.jpg
Then off pondside in light rain to check for any ducks near the outflow and another alewive run. No ducks, perhaps due to this guy: _27P7376.jpg

Drizzly morning gave way to bright sun.
Homestead:
White Throated Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker pair
Eastern Phoebe
Myrtle Warbler
Ovenbird
Hermit Thrush

Pondside:
4 Eastern Bluebirds
Song Sparrow
Eastern Wood Pewee
Northern Parula
Nashville Warbler
Field Sparrow

Today's gray and raw pondside lunch was with:
numerous Myrtle Warbler and 3 Eastern Phoebe hawking insects off the water's surface, while a pair Song Sparrow was accessing the same quarry from floating mats of last year's cattail, if not skulking at the water's rooty edge among the Spirea and Alder
Nashville Warbler
Ruby Crowned Kinglet pair
Downy Woodpecker
Robin
Mallard Drake

Late morning jaunt over to a local coastal hotspot-- en route:
1 Bald Eagle flying, being harried by a pair of crows
On site:
Yellow Warbler, FOY
Black & White Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Pair of Northern Cardinal
Downy woodpecker
Song Sparrow
Northern Parula
4 Osprey flyover, 1 with fish in its talons
Bald Eagle flyover to the apparent annoyance of the above.
Gray Catbird, FOY

"Warbler Alley" looking into scrubby treetops:
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker signature:
IMG_0931.jpg
Stopped at a large pond afterwards A flotilla of Herring Gull in with 2 dozen Double Crested Cormorant. All abondon rocks for the water, gulls take to the air, thought it was my approach but seemed awfully skittish for the long distance, then I saw the 4 juvenile Bald Eagles coming in low.
IMG_0949.jpg
Late afternoon walk down the the coast, next town over, spied an Osprey on a 3 year old nest.
Back at the homestead, the new to me ED78 Fieldscope w/38WF arrived from Japan, 2 days lickity split. While giving it a run, the FOY male Ruby-Throated Hummingbird buzzed by to get to the feeder. Often see a lot of females through the Summer but only rarely a male. Very impressed with this relic, so many great older scopes out there that get tossed for the latest/greatest. High quality birding at distance does not have to be cost prohibitive:
IMG_0953.jpg

5/11/24 Stopped over to the not-so-local local Audubon Center for an early birdwalk, neither are my forte, early nor populous but nice to chat with some fellow birders. To start at the beginning of this Global Big Day, a la Cornell...at the homestead, I was out dumping coffee grounds into the compost before Sol crested the Sentinel Pines to the East, when I realized all of the morning activity I miss being a night owl:
Ovenbird
Black Throated Green
Myrtle
Phoebe
Robin
Rose Breasted Grosbeak, singing, unseen
Blue Jay
Hermit thrush
Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers
Pine Warbler
RB Nuthatch
Dark-eyed Junco
Winter Wren
Black Capped Chickadee
Mourning Dove
White Throated Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
All before coffee!

Enroute to said non local Audubon:
Left some rubber on the road skidding into a cemetery as a hawk of sorts glided up into an oak, lost him in the screeching of tires, regained with binos when stopped, beautiful Red-Shouldered Hawk, great view of its vibrant, contrasty colors and outspread wings as it moved between trees. Distinct red shoulders and bright tail bands. I don't see these often, maybe 3 times perched, moreso when they are migrating in the Fall but one doesn't get to take in the fullness of Red Shouldered splendor when against the sky. Lucky enough to see another later.

Passed 8 Turkey crossing the road and a Broad-Winged Hawk perched on a wire.

On site, with maybe 25 others, most from the Audubon chapter:
Gray Catbird
E Bluebird
Lots of Tree Swallows
Unidentified Flycatcher, probably Alder
B&W Warbler
N Parula
Yellow Warbler
Downy and Hairy WP
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Turkey Vulture
Crow
Purple Finch
Goldfinch
Solitary Sandpiper, a first for me, that I'm aware of.
Common Yellowthroat
Chestnut Sided Warbler
N Cardinal
Rose Breasted Grosbeak
Swamp Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
And as finale--another Red Shouldered Hawk, close in, flew out of a boggy area to spiral up and call twice above us.

While at the Center's nature shop, tried out a pair of 8X42 NL Pure to asses the hubbub. Call me a cretin, but I noticed little difference in image clarity or contrast/brightness when compared to the Hawke 8X42 but what was impressive was the voodoo they threw into that glass to give the impression the barrels were only an inch long, A LOT of periphery in those Pures!!

While in the neighborhood, back to the raised bog with some drama to the sky:
IMG_0962.jpg
And the Hexagenia hatch, millions of these guys drifting in clouds and only 3 Phoebe and 1 Eastern Kingbird in the platform area to take advantage. This is like sitting on the couch, eating chips for flycatchers:
IMG_0968.jpg
Stood here for about 3 hours, 3 fiddlehead hunting young gents popped by, had a brief chat about flora, fauna and local geology, other than that the place was and is often quiet. It's about a 2.25 mile roundtrip to the platform at the edge of the NWR bog on fairly unmaintained, muddy trails and a third-world, severely pot-holed dirt access rd to thin the traffic. Maybe that is by design, for the wildlife or maybe it's because the USG would prefer to fund disrepair and rubble creation in other parts of the globe rather than upkeep in its own...I digress.

Today's tools, including the gentleman's smudging device. The blackflies weren't bad but a little smoke deters some of them.
Ball heads for spotting scopes are bunk, suspected this but thought I'd try, tilt/pan incoming:
IMG_0970.jpg
From the start of the walk-in through Red, White Pines, Hemlock, Birch Poplar and Red Oak down to the platform:
Another unidentified Flycatcher with abrupt, sort of nasally call, lots of these guys mid to treetop level.
Yellow Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Timberdoodle AKA American Woodcock in aerial display over a cove in the bog
E Phoebe
B&W Warbler
Myrtle Warbler
E Kingbird
Numerous Swamp Sparrow
F Northern Harrier, hunting, soaring.
Sharp Shinned Hawk, scattering the treetop warblers.
Barred Owl called twice, unseen
American Bittern heard (but unseen) throughout the time there, a unique, wild "song."
Leopard Frogs/peepers heard
Otter seen briefly

Not a bad day.
Compiled this am under spiraling, calling Osprey, dueling M Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds, Ovenbird, Black Throated Green, Rose Breasted Grosbeak--he showed up at the feeder this am-FOY here, Tufted Titmouse, Pine Warblers singing away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back