• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cumbria late June (1 Viewer)

jimbob

Hi there folks. Me and a few friends are renting a cottage in Coniston, Cumbria in Late June for a week. This is a post-uni trip, so as well as the drinking and football (why is Hargreaves in the squad?) I plan to escape and get some birding in. What can I expect to see? Any chance of wood warbler and redstart? keen to see both of these this year. I see there is a woodchat shrike close by- seeing two in a year would be a bit greedy (Long eaton bird, I was the mop blonde haired student) - but can I expect such rarities in June?!

Jim,if you can manage a trip to the South of the county to the Hodbarow RSPB reserve you will find the nesting terns,plus a wide variety of waders.Also if you take a trip to Muncaster Castle at Ravenglass,you will be able to see Herons very close up,as they fly across from their heronries at 4pm each day.Also if you go to St.Bees,you may see Guillemotts .

I often see Redstarts and various warblers whenever I'm in the Lakes. How about the Ospreys at Bassenthwaite? Always worth going to see!

If you have a car you could always pop down to Leighton Moss just south of the area, next to Carnforth and Silverdale and Morecambe Bay.

Neilo and I may be in the area about mid-June ourselves so I need to do a bit of homework and work out which sites are 'must-dos'

http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/europe/england_cumbria.html

http://www.cumbriabirdclub.org.uk/ This site for the local club has a section of recent sightings which may be of some help.

Thanks for the advice. We will have a few cars between us, so I reckon Bees head could be on the cards at the very least.

Just a bit more info about St Bee Head. I know the area well. I would be well worth doing one of the boat trips from Whitehaven harbour either at a peaceful pace or at great speed. Hold on if you do the speed one. I was out there on rough water last year and almost regretted it. My cousin still has a bad back! ;) Xciting, tho' although I dont know whether she would agree. Only place in England where Black Guillemotts breed in small numbers as far as I am aware. Puffins, Razorbills in some numbers. Good walk on cliff tops either from St Bees or Sandwith village, or even Whitehaven if you like walking. The speedy boat from Whitehaven also goes out into the Solway to look for Cetaceans. We didn't get that far and i was only to pleased to get back into the 'flippin' harbour!!! On a calm day I'm sure it would be really good.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'd go from the lighthouse end if you're going to St Bees. I went from the opposite end where there's a beach/caravan park but ran out of time trying to get to the hide and had to turn back. I went in February, so it wasn't the best time of year, but only saw Herring Gulls. It was great, very bracing, but hard work.

BTW, I noticed that the BBC website has recently reported the Ospreys at Bassenthwaite Lake have had two eggs hatch and they're waiting for the third. That would be good to see them, Dodd Fell has a great view over the lake so I'd recommend going there. It's up a steep hill, but there's a feeding station and platform where you can see the Osprey territory.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back