• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cullmann Shoulder Pod questions (1 Viewer)

Richard D

what was that...
Supporter
United Kingdom
I recently purchased the Cullman Shoulder Pod/Table top tripod to go with my new Nikon ED50. I must confess to mixed feelings - it works well enough but build quality doesn't look stunning - hopefully it will be better than it looks.

Strap attachment:

I've attached a strap to the little U shaped bit of metal wire ( can't work out what else it's for - any ideas?) but am slightly concerned that this isn't that strong. How do other users attach a strap? I wondered about the apparantly purposeless silver screws on the head but couldn't think of a way of using them that would be secure.

Because the pod has to be used with the quick release it's a pain to remove the block from the scope if I want to attach it to my slik tripod. How bad are the Cullmann tripods - or are there others that use the same QR block (I don't need more than a lightweight tripod)?

Thanks

Richard D said:
Because the pod has to be used with the quick release it's a pain to remove the block from the scope if I want to attach it to my slik tripod. How bad are the Cullmann tripods - or are there others that use the same QR block (I don't need more than a lightweight tripod)?

You can buy a quick release adapter that will take the Cullmann QR plate, they cost about £12 (I think) so will probably be the cheapest and easiest solution.

The Cullmann Quicksetter is worth buying for your Slik tripod. Makes life easy, so you'll never need to remove the QR block from your scope. I use the same setup - Nikon ED50, Cullman shoulder pod and Slik D2.

I've had the same dilemma regarding a strap and have not been able to come up with a good solution yet.

One thing I've also noticed is that I find my shoulder pod doesn't lock its legs into position too well, using that little ball bearing. I often find that when I have the scope raised and the pod at my shoulder the three legs easily unlock as I add small pressure when holding the system together.

Last edited:
I stitched a strap on! Radical or what. My pod is oooh 20 years old, one of the leg bits broke years ago - but since I never use it in a hide - it was no loss!

they're brilliant

I sue mine all the time when outn on the coast looking for migrants etc - mobility and speed of use.

After ten years one leg came off but it is still usable - just slung on a strap over the shoulder - with a 613 you don't even know it's there

Tim

Thanks all - For carrying it closed I found that one of the large neoprene water bottle covers is the right size, and it fits neatly under the flap of the Lowepro Nova 1 (and it has a clip to secure it to the bags strap attachments in case it slips) I bought to carry the scope, camera and attachments. The whole lot makes a nice neat small package - fine for carrying on the train if I want to do some birding in my lunch hour.

Sewing a strap on, sounds like a good idea - maybe a loop of fabric round the shaft holding a D ring to which I can clip a shoulder strap might be the neatest solution - I'd better practice my running stitch ;)

I've used it for a while now, and it works great as a shoulder pod with the ED50 - well actually I use it as a chest pod as the scope is angled - the curve of the stock fits comfortably against my taught pectorals (okay flabby man breasts ;) ). As a mini tripod it supports the scope adequately - but not with a compact camera attached, so if I'm planning on digiscoping I'll sadly still be lugging my hide-clamp around.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back