• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba (1 Viewer)

I've been to Cuba a few times and I'll be paying another visit in January, there are a good variety of birds to see. I suggest you pick up an I.D. book such as "Birds of the West Indies" which covers 560 species. £16.99

I've been to Cuba a few times and I'll be paying another visit in January, there are a good variety of birds to see. I suggest you pick up an I.D. book such as "Birds of the West Indies" which covers 560 species. £16.99

Johhny1.............any recommendations as regards car hire firms which do decent deals? Am goin Cuba...[hopefully]...in March...so any info regards this would be very much appreciated!

ps...i was just about to start an 'info-required' thread on car hire in Cuba...[maybe there is already info in this section which i haven't seen yet]...?!

Hi guys, I'm off to Cuba in a couple of weeks - first time I've been there. What birds should I look out for particularly?

Cuban Tody, Bee Hummingbird & Zapata Wren plus any other endemic. I was planning to go last year but decided to do Kenya instead. Cuba is still high on my 'to do' list.

Have a great trip. :t:

Johhny1.............any recommendations as regards car hire firms which do decent deals? Am goin Cuba...[hopefully]...in March...so any info regards this would be very much appreciated!

ps...i was just about to start an 'info-required' thread on car hire in Cuba...[maybe there is already info in this section which i haven't seen yet]...?!

I'd planned to hire a car and was advised that being able to speak Spanish was essential for driving on Cuban roads as direction signs are non-existent.

Not a birding link but Mark Moxon writes an entertaining piece on Cuban travel.

Edit - just noticed the date of the first post, how did it go?
Edit - that was his last post, wonder if he ever returned?

Last edited:
Hi red-eye......we will have a bloke with us who is a bit of a spanish speaking freak...so..in theory...we should be okay!

ps....i hope Hansolo had a good trip.....[maybe it was 'so' good he didn't come back]!

pps...nice 'link' by the way...[have had several experiences like that...things can just 'work out'..more by luck than judgment]...! All the best...

Hi red-eye......we will have a bloke with us who is a bit of a spanish speaking freak...so..in theory...we should be okay!

ps....i hope Hansolo had a good trip.....[maybe it was 'so' good he didn't come back]!

pps...nice 'link' by the way...[have had several experiences like that...things can just 'work out'..more by luck than judgment]...! All the best...

Glad you've got a Spanish speaker with you to order the cerveza.

Be sure to read Mark's driving experiences and the next page on Playa Girón (which he describes as Hotel Hell) which was recommended to us as a place to stay.

See what you think. ;)

Last edited:
Chuckle!.....i don't need my spanish speakin freaky friend to get me beer in...'cerveza' is the first...[of only a few]...spanish words i know;)
Going on your last link the 'traveling' should be most 'entertaining':eek!:....[we kinda used to that sort of thing tho....one of our main 'drivers' is a bit of a 'clarkson' head...not much fazes him]....!

Reckon i'll start a new thread in a bit....see if i can grab someone's attention about the car hire 'thing'.....

ps....thanx for the entertaining linky bits....:t:

pps....you didn't happen to see 'that' northants pallas's warbler yesterday did you..?

My apologies for not replying to your question but I've only just found this post! Dunno how I missed it the first time though I couldn't have been much help as we didn't hire any cars while we were out there. Anyway I hope you enjoyed your trip and got to see everything you wanted to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back