• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba Anyone??? (1 Viewer)

Johnny1

I'm going to Cuba in early December for 2 weeks, I'll be staying in the Varadero area. Does anyone have any experience of birding in cuba? I'm thinking of taking my scope and camera and doing some digi-scoping...would this be a problem? or will I end up being arrested and accused of spying like some poor innocent airplane spotters not so long ago in Greece! Any information would be greatly appreciated...many thanks.

Yes.... and its awesome!

I took scope bins and camera and had no problem. if you do get into difficulties it pays to take toothpaste, shampoo, Biro's, kids clothes, and of course dollars.

Cuban are very short of consumer goods.

At a glance I did not see the Long Tailed Hummingbird. Although the natioal bird of Jamaca it is also indigeonous to the Carabean. Nice Gallery!

Jane Turner said:
Yes.... and its awesome!
snip

it pays to take toothpaste, shampoo, Biro's, kids clothes, and of course dollars.

Cuban are very short of consumer goods.

And pencils are greatly sort after, the workers serving the holiday centers; do quite well for gifts from visitors, so if you get the chance to distribute your presents away from these areas, the gratification that there received with, will stay with you for a long time.
Glyn

Last edited:
Car hire is worth it... but remember its a black market economy. There will be none available till you find a few dollars for the chap in the office. There was a lagoon at the end of the Varadero peninsula, with all sorts on it!

Getting petrol away from the tourist enclaves is a challenge.... sometimes it involves trips to 20 or so houses and jerry cans!

My fave area was the far west...though its a serious distance from Varadero.

Thanks for the replies - I'll definately be packing my scope and camera! along with a good supply of pencils and pens etc. Thanks Helen for the web address's there's enough information there to keep me busy for a while. I'm really looking forward to this trip...thanks again.

While at the North West Bird Fair at Martin Mere I had a look amongst the book stalls for a book on the birds of Cuba, I came accross a great little book called "Birds of the West Indies" a Helm field guide, it contains all the birds of Cuba and the Caribbean, covering over 560 species. The main attraction for me is it's light weight which will enable me to carry it with me everywhere. Priced at £16-99. I believe it is a new publication only recently being released for sale.
Only one more day and I will be setting off for Cuba.

Thanks Jane ... I'm sure I'll enjoy every minute of it and I'm really looking forward to seeing plenty of new birds (new for me anyway!), most of the birds there will be lifers for me.

It will be packed out with wintering Dendoica Warblers. I believe American Redstart is particularly common. Keep an eye out for hummers. As I recall its easy, there is a big one and a seriously small one!

LOL, I'll definately be looking out for the small one!!! This is my final visit to the computer as I'll be leaving for the airport in a couple of hours, so I'll see you when I get back!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back