• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbill & Finches in general (1 Viewer)

swlondon

Hi all,
Based in SW London where would be the most likely place to see Crossbill or finches in general? Any information appreciated. Cheers. Marc

Depends where you are in SW London. I'd say Barnes wetland centre for the more common finches and check the sightings on the websites to see if they've had rarer stuff like siskins and redpolls. Crossbills do pass through London, though I've never seen any, so I suppose its a case of pot luck really. Check out info on the web for the forested areas of your part of greater London to see if any are known for Crossbill sightings.

Just to add to that, if you drive, Stocker's Lake in NW London is a good spot for redpolls and siskins in winter if you fancy a trip up the M25.

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm Wandsworth area so figured that I should be checking out the Wetland Centre, for the first time. Never heard of Stockers Lake though so that may also be a possibilty at some point. Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back