• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crosby Marina (2 Viewers)

Krispo

Newbie Birder For Life
Hello,

I spent an hour at my local patch, braving the cold and hail, well worth it! great views of redshank down to 10 yards at times, lots of tufties, a few goldeneye including a drake, a continental cormarant new to me and about 30 brent geese fly over (identified by call) and the usual gulls and curlews including GBB gulls.

A hour well spent I think you'll agree! :bounce:

Kristian

Last edited:
Crosby Marina hey - brings back memories. Sounds like you had a good time there, but I bet it was cold - I well remember the wind coming in off the Irish Sea there.

I grew up just down the road in Litherland and regularly used to spend time at the Marina with friends (not watching the birds !!). We quite often used to swim in the estuary there in my early teens ....... years after when I was at University studying marine ecology one of the first field trips I went on was to study the impact of pollution there - made me feel quite ill !!!

The area out of bounds due to those 'risks' is within the Docks and Harbour, adjacent to the marina; over a fence, basically. The marina is still open for business....... ;)

Glad you had a good time there, Kristian.... :t: Its a place that can often surprise.

Anne, we could have been neighbours years ago..... ;)

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Kristian,its a great walk from the start of the marina near the docks,all the way down to the Alt Estuary.Can be very cold though as Anne says,with the wind blowing from the Irish Sea.I viewed the long tailed duck a few week back.

Gary........

Gary, I went looking for the long tailed duck but, couldn't find it continental cormorant made up for it though!

Kristian

tracker said:
The area out of bounds due to those 'risks' is within the Docks and Harbour, adjacent to the marina; over a fence, basically. The marina is still open for business....... ;)

In case anyone is interested in visiting Seaforth LWT reserve (which is the bit within the dock boundaries) it should be pointed out that there is still access for groups who have booked in advance.

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
In case anyone is interested in visiting Seaforth LWT reserve (which is the bit within the dock boundaries) it should be pointed out that there is still access for groups who have booked in advance.

Stephen.

Last time I spoke to the warden there, he said a minimum of 7 days notice, for such groups. The group had to be RSPB members or similar, not just a 'group' of well meaning birders. Sadly, such notice isnt always conducive to the arrival of a rarity.

Tom

tracker said:
Sadly, such notice isnt always conducive to the arrival of a rarity.

Perhaps not, but it is still possible to visit and that's better than nothing. And if the rarity you were hoping for was, say, Roseate Tern, you would be able to time your visit to have a decent shout based on past occurrence patterns. Try seeing a Roseate Tern in Lancs and Nth Merseyside anywhere else!

To be perfectly honest Stephen, i admire the spirit, but theres no way even i could guess, within say, seven days, the arrival to Seaforth of a Roseate Tern...... ;)

I used to be there daily. This ruling is the pits as far as im concerned.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back