• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

crimdon dene - hartlepool (1 Viewer)

yes trevors quite a charecter ian, but loves them terns !

28 little terns this afternoon, mainly resting on beach, also linnet, whitethroat, yellowhammer, swallow, ringed plover, sanderling, reed bunting, 1 sand martin and 2 rt divers on the sea

around 40 little terns now, 4 rt diver, 1 cormorant, 1 gc grebe and a guillemot on the sea today. turnstone with young on the beach. house martins flying with inches of me when i was sat on the bench !

as well as the usual birds mentioned above in previous postings in the last couple of weeks i have seen 1 lesser whitethroat and a tree pipit at crimdon dene. little tern numbers seem to be ever growing with more and more birds settling in the now fenced of nesting colony ( they must feel safe once the fence is up or something? ). unfortunatly my birding is restricted too being without a scope or bins as i was attacked by the scum of hartlepool on my way too work and have a damaged eye, therefore if anyone has interesting sightings of the terns (nesting, breeding ect ) id appriciate any info as i follow the terns every year and find them facinating but wont be able to get down and watch myself as much as id like, thanks

DS

as well as the usual birds mentioned above in previous postings in the last couple of weeks i have seen 1 lesser whitethroat and a tree pipit at crimdon dene. little tern numbers seem to be ever growing with more and more birds settling in the now fenced of nesting colony ( they must feel safe once the fence is up or something? ). unfortunatly my birding is restricted too being without a scope or bins as i was attacked by the scum of hartlepool on my way too work and have a damaged eye, therefore if anyone has interesting sightings of the terns (nesting, breeding ect ) id appriciate any info as i follow the terns every year and find them facinating but wont be able to get down and watch myself as much as id like, thanks

DS
Hi i am sorry to hear you were attacked hope your damaged eye gets better and you are soon out and about again.Certainly would 'nt let the scum stop you enjoying your birding.

thanks rokermartin hopefully il be back out again soon and hopefully the cctv will help the police do something. my eye seems to be heeling and i can sort of use the lighter pair of bins we have but i still feel a bit unsure about wandering about on my own, ive only lived in hartlepool 2 years but weve decided once my partners finsihed university we'l be leaving town

i had a look down yesterday after all the wind and rain had gone, there were alot of dunlin, ringed plover on the beach. alot more terns than my last visit. linnet, p.wtail, wheatear, meadow pipit, stonechat, yellowhammer, whitethroat and goldfinch also seen.

the sea was raging 3 birds caught my eye flying low over the breaking waves a quick look with the bins and i had a new patch tick - gannets

i have been told that the recent weather made the coast the best place to be too see something a bit more scarce so far today ive made it to the footpath twice before the rain made me scarce !

Couple of hours down Crimdon Dene this morning noted the following;

1 Red-throated Diver, 1 Sparrowhawk, 3pr Ringed Plover (1pr had 3 chicks), 80-100 Sanderling (variety of plumages), 5 Dunlin, 1 Redshank, 2 Turnstone, 30+ Little Tern, 1 Wheatear.

Attachments

• 17052009 016.jpg
    17052009 016.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 17052009 019.jpg
    17052009 019.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 17052009 017.jpg
    17052009 017.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 182
first visit for about a week a quick 20 mins mainly to catch up with the terns. alot seem to be resting on the colony now in pairs. as for numbers they are impossible to count ! moving around alot but definalty twice as mainly as i seen on my last visit a guess would be 60 - 70 birds.

(attempt !) at a tern count today. 63 in the air after being disturbed on the colony. they all seem to be settled down now with there own little patch. other birds seen. c.whitethroat, skylark, linnet and meadow pipit. usual woodland birds on the hart to haswell walkway, both frog ponds with tadpoles. swallows over the big pond and a great tit nesting inside an old metal fence post, t. sparrow nesting in the bushes on the walkway down to crimdon

another quick visit inbetween work again, kestrel chasing a linnet over the dunes when i arrived. a few little terns seem to be settled on nests now with 3 or 4 diferent pairs being brought a steady supply of fish. large float of c.scoter on the sea and a ringed plover family with 3 little fluff ball chicks feeding in the muddy beck. pied wagtail and sky lark also seen here.

whitethroat taking food into nest and a recently fledged stonechat only otherbirds of note.

noticably less birds seen now

another visit today with a bit more time, bumped into trevor there are 60 little terns sat on nests and 3 showing signs of nesting ( or may already be on nests by now )

2 ringed plover familys have already hatched with 3 and 4 chicks and another 3 ringed plovers are sat on nests at the moment.

as for other birds seen today, 1 fulmar out to sea and fledglings of stonechat, song thrush, p.wagtail,

linnet, yellowhammer and reed bunting also seen

not seen by myself but a friend who visits everyday told me that the first tern chicks hatched last thursday. a visit yesterday, the colony was pretty quiet only other birds of note was a family of lesser whitethroats. a painted lady butterfly also seen

saw my first tern chicks today (2) on very brief visit. very hard to spot without a scope seems to be easier to wait for a bird to return from fishing and watch where it lands

hopefully more around soon

Ds

alot of chicks on the tern colony now, a big thanks to chris brown for letting me use his scope today and showing/explaining the ringing process.

other birds seen inc. linnet, yellowhammer, reed bunting, p.wagtail and skylark. also young jackdaw and ringed plover with chicks.

usual birds about this morning, most notable on the critter front is the increasing number of butterflies about, painted lady, red admiral, small heath, large white and cinnabar all seen in ever growing numbers over the last week

first visit in what feels like forever very quiet. few linnet and yellowhammer. 30 or 40 terns on beach quite a few fledglings. 2 stonechat young. rbm on sea. cormorant flew past.

DS

an hour this morning at 5a.m cut short by the very high tide meaning alot of the area was flooded. kestrel hunting over dunes. around 15 - 20 little terns and 1 common tern. the high tide did mean there was alot of birds close in around 60 ringed pover inc. a good number of young. 3 turnstones, 1 dunlin and a couple of sanderling.

linnet, yellowhammer and reed bunting seen elsewhere. a good number of swifts in the air.

soon be giving up this as my local patch due to moving hopefully the thread will keep going with others imput.

DS

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back