• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costanera Sur Reserve, Argentina reviews. (1 Viewer)

MSullivan

Hey all,

has anyone ever been here or heard
good things about it. We are heading to
argentina in about 3 weeks, and are going
to go there, and wanted to hear if
anyone has anything to say about it or any tips.
thanks
matt

Last edited:
I had read recent reports that the reserve had been completely dry and therefore rather poor for birding. However on the first day of this year's Birdquest Northern Argentina tour (Oct 16), we made a very short visit between flights. Despite its city-centre location, it seemed a worthwhile site to me. Although we only had time to visit a small part (Camino de los Lagartos), I logged almost 50 species:

• White-faced Whistling Duck, Western Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Neotropic Cormorant, Roadside Hawk, Southern Crested Caracara, Giant Wood Rail, Grey-necked Wood Rail, White-backed Stilt, Southern Lapwing, Wattled Jacana, Greater Yellowlegs, Brown-hooded Gull, Feral Pigeon, Picazuro Pigeon, Eared Dove, Black-hooded Parakeet, Monk Parakeet, Guira Cuckoo, Glittering-bellied Emerald, Checkered Woodpecker, Green-barred Woodpecker, Rufous Hornero, Sulphur-bearded Spinetail, Freckle-breasted Thornbird, Narrow-billed Woodcreeper, White-crested Tyrannulet, Great Kiskadee, Tropical Kingbird, Fork-tailed Flycatcher, Brown-chested Martin, Grey-breasted Martin, White-rumped Swallow, Southern House Wren, Chalk-browed Mockingbird, Masked Gnatcatcher, Common Starling, Rufous-bellied Thrush, Creamy-bellied Thrush, House Sparrow, Hooded Siskin, Southern Yellowthroat, Yellow-winged Blackbird, Shiny Cowbird, Rufous-collared Sparrow, Black-and-rufous Warbling Finch, Saffron Finch, Red-crested Cardinal.
See also:

Richard

Last edited:
Hi,

In my opinion, Costanera is one of the most amazing city centre reserves despite the ongoing problems with drought. I spent a total of seven days in Buenos Aires in Sep/Oct 2008, visiting the reserve daily and managed to find new birds at every visit.

A couple of things to note before visiting is that it is closed on Mondays (though can be accessed by walking across the dry lakebed). The opening hours are 8am to 6pm. Also, bring plenty of water as it is quite a large reserve, with relatively little shade.

A good way to start is to arrive at the northern reserve entrance at dawn (7am) and keep an eye on sky for Ibises, Herons, Gulls etc. moving from their roost sites (most flying north). As mentioned in the Neotropical Birding Article, the woodland and the area of reeds at the northern end of the reserve are probably the most productive. In the evenings Martins gather to roost at the obvious aerial on the eastern side.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=-34.5951383&lon=-58.3566016&z=18&l=0&m=b&v=8
The northern reedbeds, check patiently along the edges here for the Many-coloured Rush-Tyrant.

For waterbirds, the other BA Reserva Ecologicas (Vincente Lopez and Ribeira Norte) would be very worthwhile. These are about 20 to 30 mins by taxi from BA city centre. Both are accessible by the Tren de la Costa.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back