• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corvid ID - UK, North Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

Glaucous1

A couple of shots attached from yesterday, at a site about 4 miles inland from Scarborough.

In view for about 15-20 seconds, the photos were initially taken of what I thought was a distant large raptor (ie: buzzard sp in these parts), but looking at the images, it appears to show a long winged corvid with a wedge shaped tail.

Any offers on this being a possible raven, or am I looking at a rook and need to get out a bit more.

This is as good as the photos get, so I'm not going to post a full frame image later. I've also attached an uncropped shot to show how distant it was.

Many thanks

Attachments

• corvid-1.jpg
    corvid-1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 185
  • corvid-2.jpg
    corvid-2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 127
  • corvid-3.jpg
    corvid-3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 105
A couple of shots attached from yesterday, at a site about 4 miles inland from Scarborough.

In view for about 15-20 seconds, the photos were initially taken of what I thought was a distant large raptor (ie: buzzard sp in these parts), but looking at the images, it appears to show a long winged corvid with a wedge shaped tail.

Any offers on this being a possible raven, or am I looking at a rook and need to get out a bit more.

This is as good as the photos get, so I'm not going to post a full frame image later. I've also attached an uncropped shot to show how distant it was.

Many thanks

Hi Dave

Its a raven , The best id is exactly as you say , " is that a buzzard , no its a Corvid (!) ) " the Tail and the Bill are a Giveaway

Cheers

Si

Great record for Yorks. Definitely a Raven

Is raven really still an uncommon sight in Yorks then? They're such an everyday bird here that I tend to take them for granted and assume they are common everywhere. In fact I can hear one outside at the moment.

Just to emphasise my point, here it is. (apologies for hijack)

Attachments

• Raven.jpg
    Raven.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
A lot of birds are still heavily persecuted in God's own. Can be a tricky bird for us Yorks year listers sometimes. I did the coast to coast walk and ravens pretty much disappeared at about Shap.

I've got a county list of over 300, and that would be a county tick for me, so they are still hard to get on the east coast of Yorkshire.

Is it still an issue of persecution then? I can't imagine there's a lack of suitable habitat.

BTW I agree, update your list, buzzard sized, diamond shaped tail, gotta be raven.

Last edited:
Agree on the ID and certainly a goodie for Yorkshire. I used to pop to Derbyshire (Strines, Hathersage etc) for them and they were scarce there too (a supposed stronghold). Up here there's a regular communal roost of over 100 birds in the Parish of Evie (but we don't see many blue tits!!!!).

Historically raven bred down the Yorkshire coast, and it was persercution that pushed their range back, so the habitat is certainly here.

Bear in mind the size of the county, say 100 miles wide, it's still a long way to the coast from Pennine breeding areas. That said coastal records seem to becoming more common in recent years (Filey, the nearest bird observatory has had it's only records over the last few years).

i always thought that ravens would have common in yorkshire? i only have to look from the garden to see a few raven!

AFAIK there is only one nailed on site in the whole of Yorkshire were you are guaranteed. Although I have seen them up near Reeth and in Calderdale they are are difficult bird indeed. They get between 0 and 5 per year at the Barden raptor watch point where realstically they should be at least daily.

As Dave has said, the raven gotand still gets a great deal of persecution.
I have an older cousin who is a gamekeeper's widow, her late husband would shoot raven on sight, as they were 'vermin', and an awful lot of keepers still do.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back