• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall recommendations (1 Viewer)

helenol

Any recommendations for a quiet weekend stay in Cornwall?

Thinking more on the lines of "secluded spot" rather than the touristy parts.

Cheers

H

Anywhere west/south west of a line between St Ives and Penzance.

Somewhere in the hills or along the coastal cliffs perhaps a village along/off the B roads.

This is lovely countryside, rugged, wild and full of small sleepy villages and winding roads. When I was there we enjoyed seeing Peregrines, seals, and the local wild ponies.

Also check out the Lizard. I have a suspicion this is underwatched birdwise as all the birders head for the Scillies and Land's End/St. Just area. But as it is the southernmost point of the mainland and has coastal scenery every bit as good I am sure you can't go too far wrong. Lizard Point has seen Risso's Dolphins and a Red-throated Pipit in the past week or so and can produce some sensational seawatching.

If you do manage to get down to the Lizard, check out Kinance cove, just before the Lizard on the right, a truly lovely spot, then on to a pub lunch at the Top House, in the Lizard village, probably the best sunday lunch in Cornwall.
regards
Bill.....

This is all great stuff. Thanks very much! I'd also like to stay one night on Bodmin Moor, just because I've never been to this part of the country, and it sounds so....well, isolated and Bodminish

H

You could try the Jamaica Inn on Bodmin moor, it was alright when I stayed there, but that was a couple of years ago, just outside the Inn, take a left, theres a brown sign pointing to golitho falls, I think its called this, the road runs along side the river fal, there's a parking area and toilets. Its a lovely spot for a walk..
regards
Bill.....

Brown Willy is a hill - the highest part of Cornwall.

Jamaica Inn gets a bit touristy. If you want somewhere quiet try Minnions or Altarnun. Minnions is way up on top of the Moor, whereas Altarnun is just off the A30 but is incredibly beautiful. If you want somewhere on the Coast, try East Cornwall. Anywhere from Rame, around the villages of Kingsand and Cawsand, right down to Portwrinkle, Downderry and Seaton - you can't get much more secluded - certainly not many birds at the moment!!

Darrell

I'd add something to the above. The Lizard is wonderful and Kynance Cove is beautiful (though it can be very busy).

Lizard point didn't do much for me. Apart from watching a man risking his kids lives while walking them on the lower steep cliffs above sea.

If you get chance try across to the east side of the Lizard at Coverack. It's on a lovely pat of the coast and also I'd recommend the sea food restaurant in the old Life Boat House. It also has a take away chippy attached to the road side of the kitchens. All the sea food is caught by the fisherman (who's boat is often moored just off shore).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back