• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (2 Viewers)

Cheers :t:

A non-birder was wittering away to me earlier whilst I was trying to scan the Carrick Roads for grebes etc - he said he'd heard on the local radio that a Red-winged Starling or something had been seen at Marazion yesterday. Presumably he meant Rose-coloured? (And not a Blackbird ... ;) ) Has one been seen recently down that way? Or was it likely a phone-in from a previous time or some other crossed wires ... ?

??!!

Last edited:
While driving past Hayle Estuary late this afternoon we noticed flocks of Starlings going to roost, I believe around the Garden Centre. I understand there are now large numbers roosting there and wondered if it was the same birds that were roosting at Marazion Marsh towards the end of last year. Is this the case? In which case, how do they decide to move and how do they get the message to other Starlings.

I can picture the scene one morning at Marazion when one Starling says to another "See you tonight" and the other says "No, we're all off to the garden centre at Hayle, pass it on".

While driving past Hayle Estuary late this afternoon we noticed flocks of Starlings going to roost, I believe around the Garden Centre. I understand there are now large numbers roosting there and wondered if it was the same birds that were roosting at Marazion Marsh towards the end of last year. Is this the case? In which case, how do they decide to move and how do they get the message to other Starlings.

I can picture the scene one morning at Marazion when one Starling says to another "See you tonight" and the other says "No, we're all off to the garden centre at Hayle, pass it on".

I've watched them coming in when I've been at St Erth station in the evening - a lot of them are arriving from Penzance direction.
Before I'd seen them I wondered why the crash barriers at the roundabout near the garden centre were covered in poo.

The Marazion roost first moved to Lescujack Castle above Chyandour.

How, why & where they roost - in the 90's we used to get power dips late in the afternoon from the weight of Starlings grouping up on powerlines down the A30 before they set off for the Parish Church in St Ives - I don't remember anyone trying to estimate the numbers as they roosted on an odd way - looked like the churchyard was on fire with smoke rising from it drifting along the coast to Hayle - there wasn't the grouped display while they made their minds up where to settle as it was the same spot every night.

Became a serious problem with the smell and the poo on the pavements made walking treacherous - alarm call tapes failed to alarm them so the trees were cut down.

Birds vanished and so did the power dips so they weren't at Marazion - lovely to imagine a few Starlings meeting up, deciding on a roost and the word spreading.

An interesting roost is the Pied wagtails at Penzance harbour/bus station car park - birds (not normally that sociable) meet up on the tarmac keeping a respectful distance from each other before lifting off to roost (often) in a tree by the traffic light controlled crossing to the Wharfside complex.

The Starlings first turned up here around the turn of the year. they are fascinating to watch and all got airborne about 0740 - 0750 this morning although they can and do roost in a few different locations nearby.

Presumably the same flock(s) that was roosting at Marazion. For some reason they decided to go elsewhere and the message got round pretty quickly!

Last edited:
Presumably the same flock(s) that was roosting at Marazion. For some reason they decided to go elsewhere and the message got round pretty quickly!

For what it's worth, I'm guessing that the sheer volume of birds flattened the reeds until they became unsuitable for roosting and then they moved on.

Dave

For what it's worth, I'm guessing that the sheer volume of birds flattened the reeds until they became unsuitable for roosting and then they moved on.

Dave

I know reed flattening is a problem for them and the current (last) roost moved from the main marsh to the pool opposite the old Station house.
There used to be a roost in the trees up where the bird hide used to be and in a lot of watching I've not seen them attempt to use it again which is odd as there are a lot less reeds now than there were then.

What I have noticed in the last roost is that as the Buzzards got used to food turning up at dusk they were anticipating the arrival and perching on the poles on top of the hill behind Marazion and on an old Heron nest in the middle of the marsh.
This (possibly) made the Starlings change their behaviour and the pre-roost group up moved from under the wires on the hill to a field opposite Folly field car park - this also corresponded with their move to the Station house pool.

When they relocated to Lescudjack I've no idea what made them move on but the Buzzards have found them at St Erth and are circling before the Starlings arrive.

Having said all that I've never seen a Buzzard take a Starling - they seem full of enthusiasm for a kill but just get very confused by the numbers of birds.

What will happen at St Erth is the Lapwings will warn everyone of danger providing they are awake o:).

I know reed flattening is a problem for them and the current (last) roost moved from the main marsh to the pool opposite the old Station house.
There used to be a roost in the trees up where the bird hide used to be and in a lot of watching I've not seen them attempt to use it again which is odd as there are a lot less reeds now than there were then.

What I have noticed in the last roost is that as the Buzzards got used to food turning up at dusk they were anticipating the arrival and perching on the poles on top of the hill behind Marazion and on an old Heron nest in the middle of the marsh.
This (possibly) made the Starlings change their behaviour and the pre-roost group up moved from under the wires on the hill to a field opposite Folly field car park - this also corresponded with their move to the Station house pool.

When they relocated to Lescudjack I've no idea what made them move on but the Buzzards have found them at St Erth and are circling before the Starlings arrive.

Having said all that I've never seen a Buzzard take a Starling - they seem full of enthusiasm for a kill but just get very confused by the numbers of birds.

What will happen at St Erth is the Lapwings will warn everyone of danger providing they are awake o:).

I doubt the Buzzards have caused the shift, they have always been present as have a pair of Sparrowhawks and a Peregrine. I have even seen a Bittern sitting up in the reeds snapping away at them, though never successfully.
Dave

Request for Black-necked Grebe sightings

Hi folks,

I was contacted recently by Richard Cook from Natural England, who is in charge of sorting out the proposed Special Protection Area (SPA): Falmouth Bay to St Austell Bay. One of the key species for which it will be designated is Black-necked Grebe. One of the things they are struggling with a bit is the boundaries around the Carrick Roads, which will largely be dictated by which bits the grebes actually use - do they get further inland that Restronguet Point and how far up towards the King Harry Ferry do they get?

If you happen to be up that way, could you document the location of any sightings and send on to either him [email protected] or me ([email protected])

Cheers,

Ilya

I saw these in the early hours of new years eve Steve roosting just off the roundabout on the railway embankment at St Erth. They also get in the trees and bushes at the back of the football pitch at Lelant Saltings.

Water Pipit at Copperhouse Creek this morning showing really well from St George's walk. Well it was if you were a dog walker or cyclist, who were passing within 6 feet of it, but show it any sight of a camera and away it flew towards the library!!

Knot and Goosander present too.

I doubt the Buzzards have caused the shift, they have always been present as have a pair of Sparrowhawks and a Peregrine. I have even seen a Bittern sitting up in the reeds snapping away at them, though never successfully.
Dave

There's also plenty of Buzzards around the St Erth roost, so I too can't see Buzzards being the cause of the shift from Marazion. I have noticed a lot more feeding flocks of Starlings around fields at Camborne, Redruth and Connor Downs, so maybe they just choose a closer position to feeding areas??

Could anyone advise me if there are any companies that organise sea watching trips on south coast for Devon or Cornwall ?

Thanks in advance

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back