• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmation Required - Richard's Pipit, Isle of Wight, UK (1 Viewer)

Someone with good* photoshop skills could perhaps 'close' the bill, which could be informative ... (with OPs permission perhaps of course).

*(Or very good??)

(I'd want it to be a Rock Pipit, just to be different lol)
Haha - now if you want to be really controversial - why didn't you say Tawny! (joke only!)

Thank you John for your very detailed description, I do appreciate it. It's just a bit of a shame that the bird did not move around a bit more in order for me to get a shot of the front. That could have been the clincher!
Thank you Tracey. I think it's important in the ID section not just to say what the bird is (or isn't) but also to say at least the key points of why. The learning aspect of birding never stops.

John

Richard's Pipit is a regular winter visitor in my area and I think I have good experience with this species. TBH, the bird in the two photos here did not strike me as Richard's. Reasons being -

1) Face looks wrong for Richard's. A Richard's should have a broad buff supercilium behind eye.
Please refer to Richard's Pipit Macaulay Library ML409835231 for a Richard's at similar angle to OP's 2nd photo.

2) Bill looks weak. Even though it is open in both photos, a Richard's should have a thicker lower mandible and overall, its bill should have more pink/yellow.
Please refer to Richard's Pipit Macaulay Library ML290846731 for a side profile of bill, in closed position though.

3) Its posture and structure look doubtful. Even from this angle, a Richard's should look more upright. The birds that winter in India, they are extremely shy on their wintering grounds and barely allow close approach. Even from a distance, if it spots a human, it goes into an alert upright position and quickly flies away.
Another photo. Somewhat similar to OP's 1st image. Richard's Pipit Macaulay Library ML426846681

Based on what I see in these images, I would incline towards a Meadow Pipit in the absence of call record.

Last edited:
Richard's Pipit is a regular winter visitor in my area and I think I have good experience with this species. TBH, the bird in the two photos here did not strike me as Richard's. Reasons being -

1) Face looks wrong for Richard's. A Richard's should have a broad buff supercilium behind eye.
Please refer to Richard's Pipit Macaulay Library ML409835231 for a Richard's at similar angle to OP's 2nd photo.

2) Bill looks weak. Even though it is open in both photos, a Richard's should have a thicker lower mandible and overall, its bill should have more pink/yellow.
Please refer to Richard's Pipit Macaulay Library ML290846731 for a side profile of bill, in closed position though.

3) Its posture and structure look doubtful. Even from this angle, a Richard's should look more upright. The birds that winter in India, they are extremely shy on their wintering grounds and barely allow close approach. Even from a distance, if it spots a human, it goes into an alert upright position and quickly flies away.
Another photo. Somewhat similar to OP's 1st image. Richard's Pipit Macaulay Library ML426846681

Based on what I see in these images, I would incline towards a Meadow Pipit in the absence of call record.
Thank you so much for your detailed response - I can see that you have put a lot of thought into this which has been most helpful. I can only presume that the picture of the bird I posted was in a terrified state with regards to the pose being flattened somewhat to the ground and the constant panting. There are a lot of Raptors on Culver Down and I am wondering whether this specific bird had been chased and managed to get away. Regardless on what happened - I did not see the whole picture so I am just guessing that this may have been what had happened.

Thank you so much for your detailed response - I can see that you have put a lot of thought into this which has been most helpful. I can only presume that the picture of the bird I posted was in a terrified state with regards to the pose being flattened somewhat to the ground and the constant panting. There are a lot of Raptors on Culver Down and I am wondering whether this specific bird had been chased and managed to get away. Regardless on what happened - I did not see the whole picture so I am just guessing that this may have been what had happened.
You are welcome, Tracey.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back