• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

comparison of NL 10x32 and SF 10x32 (1 Viewer)

I see..... :D:D
Lol, you got me Scottie . I guess I got myself in trouble with that reply, touché. 🤣.

I certainly could’ve been more descriptive as to opinion, but the original post was asking for comparisons. I didn’t mean it to be absolute, and I wouldn’t argue the point, unless we’re talking about things like size and weight.

And what I just said, is the absolute truth unarguably 😉.

I see..... :D:D
Really?:ROFLMAO: I will take an SF over this glare any day!

"Stray light: The tendency to develop stray-light in some situations remains the only considerable weakness in both binoculars. In difficult light conditions, bright spots are emerging around the edges of the exit pupils, which tend to create partial whiteouts (in most cases a crescent-shaped glare in the lower half of the field) when the eye-pupils accidentally get in contact with them. A careful setting of eye cup positions and a certain discipline in the way and angle at which the instrument is held in front of the eyes go a long way to avoid these whiteouts in the vast majority of situations. Observer's reports vary wildly about the severeness of the glare, ranging from 'irrelevant' to 'irritating'. The fact is that there exist binoculars (including the Zeiss 8x32 SF) with a superior resistance against stray light."

"In my opinion, the NL Pure represents a successful evolutionary step above the El WB. Among its improvements are most of all its haptic, its expanded field of view, as well as its rather pleasant panning behavior. It is nonetheless just an evolutionary step forward, and differences in optical performance are usually subtle if visible at all. Who already owns the EL WB would hardly gain from an upgrade to the NL Pure, since both are virtually playing in the same league. The stray light issue which has occasionally been reported to plague the EL WB has not been resolved with its successor, and this is going to remain a matter of dispute whenever the NL Pure's merits are discussed."

bagliorenlpure-scaled-e1644247844768.jpg

Last edited:
Really?:ROFLMAO:

"Stray light: The tendency to develop stray-light in some situations remains the only considerable weakness in both binoculars. In difficult light conditions, bright spots are emerging around the edges of the exit pupils, which tend to create partial whiteouts (in most cases a crescent-shaped glare in the lower half of the field) when the eye-pupils accidentally get in contact with them. A careful setting of eye cup positions and a certain discipline in the way and angle at which the instrument is held in front of the eyes go a long way to avoid these whiteouts in the vast majority of situations. Observer's reports vary wildly about the severeness of the glare, ranging from 'irrelevant' to 'irritating'. The fact is that there exist binoculars (including the Zeiss 8x32 SF) with a superior resistance against stray light."

"In my opinion, the NL Pure represents a successful evolutionary step above the El WB. Among its improvements are most of all its haptic, its expanded field of view, as well as its rather pleasant panning behavior. It is nonetheless just an evolutionary step forward, and differences in optical performance are usually subtle if visible at all. Who already owns the EL WB would hardly gain from an upgrade to the NL Pure, since both are virtually playing in the same league. The stray light issue which has occasionally been reported to plague the EL WB has not been resolved with its successor, and this is going to remain a matter of dispute whenever the NL Pure's merits are discussed."

View attachment 1543472
I read that review before I bought my first NL, another review that made me hesitant for months, very similar to how some of the Allbinos reviews effected my purchases. First time out I never seen that glare. But then I noticed it under certain conditions. When I pushed the eye pieces closer/tighter to my eyes it went away. To me it’s another sensitivity on a binocular, like other sensitivities and other Binoculars. For example some binoculars are very sensitive to IPD settings, if not perfect you get kidney beaning , others are very prone to having the eyecup settings just right. This lower Circular glare for me falls into that category. The veiling glare I get with some SF’s can’t be adjusted away, it’s milky across the whole FOV.

As far as weight helping stability, that is Subjective to each individual. I’ve seen some elderly people can’t hold a 56 mm binocular for more than 20 seconds, forget about holding it steady. Yet they could hold a 30mm MHG all day long. I don’t believe there’s any science that says a heavier binocular will be more stable , not when a human being is holding it. Only on a tripod when the wind is blowing, or when Dennis says so 😜.

Paul.

I thought I was the crazy one...

What is up with Swarovski eyecups lol? I once tested a pair of NL 12x42 in a hunting store where employees had next to no idea about binoculars. When I tried to adjust the eyecups they would just unscrew. I felt like an idiot but hey, I have done this on plenty other binoculars, this is the way to adjust eyecups right? Employees got tired of me after a while and I could not explain the problem well due to a language issue. So I just had to test them with eyecups all the way down. Horrible experience :p

It's good to see that it wasn't just a temporary lunacy on my part :D

edit: trying to turn them clockwise was my first idea. It did not work for some reason. It would keep unscrewing itself when trying to adjust eyecups.

Last edited:
Lol, you got me Scottie . I guess I got myself in trouble with that reply, touché. 🤣.

I certainly could’ve been more descriptive as to opinion, but the original post was asking for comparisons. I didn’t mean it to be absolute, and I wouldn’t argue the point, unless we’re talking about things like size and weight.

And what I just said, is the absolute truth unarguably 😉.
It doesn't bother me! Of course everything posted here is "IMO" do we really have to include that caveat....Last time I checked, internet forums are not peer-reviewed, board certified journal postings :)

I think sounding authoritative does tend to make people argue more. But true diversity means lots of different viewpoints, it's all good, all normal.....no one is forcing anyone to use the same equipment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back