• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Rosefinch (1 Viewer)

Andy Hall

Notts Birder
For interest, there was a juv in a private garden in Nottingham on 5th October. This is a new species for the county. The bird was photographed, but I believe it wasn't identified until after it had left and hasn't been seen since.

Andy

From one of the notts birding forums on yahoo:

Re: [nottinghamshire_birding] The next Notts tick??

I think it's more likely to be one that doesn't require good views or
much expert knowledge to separate from commoner confusion species. I'd
go with Glossy Ibis, Dartford Warbler, or possibly Night Heron from that
list. Maybe a rare thrush, like American Robin... Now that nearly
everyone has digital cameras of some form it will turn up in someone's
garden, get photographed and the news will come out after it's gone,
then we'll all whine about it for years later :)

Cheers,

Ben.

Steve later said:
A sp. not on that list, that I think as a good chance (and has been recorded very close to our borders twice in the last 15 years) is Common Rosefinch and as Ben said, it'll be in someones garden.

Cheers
Steve

I think the Shrike was the next addition though - and I think it was in Paul Naylor's original list that Steve started the thread with!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back