• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

common garden birds (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone
I am new to this site, and would like to ask a question hoping to get some feed back.

We have a holiday home on the coast just south of Belek . it is a well stocked
area with plenty of trees and bushes etc, as I am retiring soon to spend more time out there, I would would be very interested to know what type of garden birds I am likely to see in my area, as I also intend to photograph them in the future.
On my visits in the past I have seen what I think are common house sparrows and house martins.
I also wonder if we would get any migrants.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

not sure what you'll get in Belek but I've had a whole range of birds in, over and from my garden in Turkey. Bobcemse formally Bob Woodcock also saw a range of birds in/around his garden on the Cesme peninsular and Turkeylandman also around his. Have a look at the threads/posts from those individuals for some ideas as to what's possible.

The range of species is very seasonal around my villa not just for temporary migrants e.g. bee-eaters but also with respect to summer visitors e.g. Red-Rumped Swallows that are around for a number of months, then autumn visitors around for a number of weeks e.g. spotted flycatchers than wintering birds e.g. Black Redstarts again for a number of months.

Bob and Sgokce post/posted regularly with birds they had photographed for help with i.d. so I'm sure people will help out if you post photos.

A copy of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Turkey-Helm-Field-Guides/dp/140810475X is great for ideas about distribution and one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Bir...9037310&sr=1-1&keywords=collins+bird+guidefor general i.d. help.

personally I find raptors particularly difficult and this is useful for this group http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ipbooks,166&rh=i:stripbooks,k:forsman raptors

Turkish birds are often very approachable and whilst I don't photograph I've had loads of great photo opportunities.

I have four years until I retire and I'll be moving out for approx 6 months of the year. Turkey is a great country. How long have you had your place for?

Last edited:
Hi John
We have had the place there since 2006, but only go there for holidays. I have always been interested in birds throughout my life, but never had the time to watch them, even now I am only a garden birdwatcher, but I do enjoy it.
I will be retiring myself soon, so will spend more time in Turkey. where do you have you place over there ?.

Regards

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back