• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Crane - Saxby? (1 Viewer)

Yashca

I've just been asked by a fiend to drive them somewhere tomorrow, which will involve travelling right through Lincolnshire.

Wondered if anyone could tell me where is the best place to view the Common Cranes at Saxby All Saints - I've heard that from the bridge at the end of N Carr lane is best - is this true?

Also, how straightforward is it to see the White Tailed Sea Eagle at Ruckland?
Any specific spots or places to look?

If I could see either of these it would make my day.

Thanks for any advice.

I've just been asked by a fiend to drive them somewhere tomorrow, which will involve travelling right through Lincolnshire.

Wondered if anyone could tell me where is the best place to view the Common Cranes at Saxby All Saints - I've heard that from the bridge at the end of N Carr lane is best - is this true?

Also, how straightforward is it to see the White Tailed Sea Eagle at Ruckland?
Any specific spots or places to look?

If I could see either of these it would make my day.

Thanks for any advice.

Can help with the Eagle.
If you head to Ruckland (it is barely a place, just a small church and a few houses) head down the valley and then up the other side. There is a gap in the hedge you can watch from although it is distant.
So what I did was head back down the hill and down the public footpath on the right/left depending what way you are heading, you can't really miss it.
As long as you stick road side of the fishing lakes I think its fine to be there, had very good views from there!
Usually seen flying around 10-10:30 I believe!
Best of luck with both.

Can help with the Eagle.
If you head to Ruckland (it is barely a place, just a small church and a few houses) head down the valley and then up the other side. There is a gap in the hedge you can watch from although it is distant.
So what I did was head back down the hill and down the public footpath on the right/left depending what way you are heading, you can't really miss it.
As long as you stick road side of the fishing lakes I think its fine to be there, had very good views from there!
Usually seen flying around 10-10:30 I believe!
Best of luck with both.

Excellent description I saw it on Monday afternoon sitting in the tree. It does look a bit "manky" now it is moulting.

The eagle can be difficult. I spent 2.5 hours there yesterday afternoon and not a sign. It had been sitting in view all morning but moved at 11.45 when hassled by a Buzzard and had not reappeared by the time I left at 18.20.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back