• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Blue or Brown Argus (2 Viewers)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
I saw the upper wing which was a deep, chocolate brown with orange spots, very fresh but I could only get this shot of the underwing. I think it would be a decent record at my location were it a Brown Argus?

Attachments

• 1654484482061.jpg
    1654484482061.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
The underwing looks very like Polyommatus thersites - Chapman's Blue.

I couldn't rule out a female Chapman's from that photo but I'm no expert on butterflies, and my familiarity with what's found in your location is practically zero... Hopefully someone else will be able to offer a positive id.

Chapman's isn't here.
Interesting - I know it's found as far East as Iran, and South as far as North Africa, but unless you've got a first for Cyprus that does rule out Chapman's!

In which case I'd lean Common Blue, but as I said I'm far from an expert.

Don't think you can eliminate either, Andy ................... ask it to open its wings a bit more next time to see if it has the tell-tale cell spot!

Shane

Don't think you can eliminate either, Andy ................... ask it to open its wings a bit more next time to see if it has the tell-tale cell spot!

Shane
I'll look for it again soon, may still be there as they seemed to like the flowers there.

The ground colour seems very dark to me for Common and there isn't even a hint of blue at the wing base?

Last edited:
As far as I can see, it lacks the "figure of eight" on the leading edge of the underside of the hindwing, which should make it female Common Blue.

Telling female Common Blue apart from Brown Argus is a bit of a headache.

Hi Andy

Yes that Butterflie is a beauty Indeed, I photographed mine today but clearly showing the extra spot the tops of the wings of my Butterflie were uniform brown with the orange spots Identifying a male brown Argus but from the underside of the wings this does not seem the case so from this I believe unless you get views from below of the spots Id is unreliable from above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back