• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies - Uzbekistan Part 1 - Tien Shen (1 Viewer)

Muppit17

I am wading through the photos of butterflies in Uzbekistan. It appears that the Vadim V. Tshikolovets book is unobtainable and I dont have access to the incomplete and multi-volume butterflies of the Palearctic. So any help would be welcome. As with many places many species are the same as Europe, but with some localised endemics and local races. I am therefore not sure which are the widespread and which are the local.

I attach a few to start off - all taken to the NE of Tashkent in the foothills of the Tien Shen between 1000-1400m asl.

I think the file names have the right species
Brown Argus - Brown Argus & Eastern Brown Argus - should both be possible
Green-underside Blue - relatively straightforward, but there are no spots on the hindwing with this one
Wood White - looks like sinapsis, but can Fenton's or any other local species be excluded

Attachments

• DSC06880 Brown Argus.JPG
    DSC06880 Brown Argus.JPG
    525.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC06883 Wood White.JPG
    DSC06883 Wood White.JPG
    484.3 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC06889 Green underside Blue.JPG
    DSC06889 Green underside Blue.JPG
    305.5 KB · Views: 8
If I'm not wrong, Eastern Brown Argus lacks spots on the upper forewing, so should be Brown? Does Common Blue reach there?

Fenton's Wood White is said to have a falcated (slightly hooked) forewing, whereas the forewing looks pretty rounded on the individual in the photo, so maybe just sinapsis?

Agree with Green-underside Blue.

If I'm not wrong, Eastern Brown Argus lacks spots on the upper forewing, so should be Brown? Does Common Blue reach there?

Fenton's Wood White is said to have a falcated (slightly hooked) forewing, whereas the forewing looks pretty rounded on the individual in the photo, so maybe just sinapsis?

Agree with Green-underside Blue.
Again many thanks.

Common blue should be possible but u/s ruled it out in the field

Apparently Cryptic and sinapsis are possible - I will leave it as sinapsis

I am still surprised about the lack of u/s hindwing markings on the GU Blue. From the location G aeruginosa is possible, however I don't know the differences from alexis and in some places aeruginosa is solely a ssp of alexis

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back