• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coming To BC (1 Viewer)

John Hague

aka The Drunkbirder
Hi all,

I'm flying in to Vancouver on Friday 24th June for a 3 week stay in BC. Any birders out there fancy meeting up and doing an hour or two's birding? I'd love to see a few Owls on this trip and maybe a Poorwill, Nighthawk or two. After dipping on the McKinney Road in 2008 in Osoyoos, Mountain Bluebird is also another target.

I am staying in Vancouver for 3 nights
Victoria 3 nights
Parksville (Vancouver Island) 4 nights.

We also have stays in Nelson, Osoyoous, Hope, Revelstoke and a few other places.

I'd love to hear from a few birders...

John

Hi John. I've just been given a book called - The Birders Guide British Columbia. Looks like it would be useful to you and be a good starting point.

Also, a great place to eat in Nelson is the All Seasons Cafe.

Have a great trip,

An extremely jealous

Rich

Hi John. I've just been given a book called - The Birders Guide British Columbia. Looks like it would be useful to you and be a good starting point.

Also, a great place to eat in Nelson is the All Seasons Cafe.

Have a great trip,

An extremely jealous

Rich

Cheers Clark, I used that book last time, picked up cheap in Vancouver and it had pretty much fallen to bits when I finished such was its use. I'll probably pick up another copy when I get there.

Thanks for the cafe tip!

John

Hi John. Dim problem. Just to let you know it's more restaurant than cafe - the scallops are great. Fromers guide reckons it to be one of the best in interior BC. The Outer Clove is also great and that is more cafe like. As it name suggests everything has garlic in it - brilliant value.

One place we did go whilst visiting Nelson was north to Keslo/ Kaslo (always get it wrong - sorry) and onto Trout lake. Good ice cream on main street. Plenty of Ospreys, Baldies, several species of deer, Loons, Turkeys, red tailed hawks, kokannee etc. The one word of advice I would give is that Highway 31A resembles a bike track through Afan Argoed and is not tarmacced rather than an actual highway. It's reminiscent of that hill into Bella Coola.

Rich

Forgot to mention John that we had several Western Mountain Bluebird just south of Kamloops. Every time we've been to goose lake they've been there. It's just off the road to Lac Le Jeune.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back