• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Columbiformes (1 Viewer)

"I think the claimed publication date for the paper is wrong. It was not online until yesterday at the earliest."
The Zoobank info on the journal says there is an online edition and a print edition. The print edition probably was published 7/7/23.
https://zoobank.org/References/1d9d9144-d8bf-475d-a8fd-244b29e77a37 .
Strange, as the TAS website says this:
This is an e-journal. The content will be published on-line on the website of the Trust for Avian Systematics (www.aviansystematics.org) and they will be archived by the British Library.

I agree that Chalcophabini Bonaparte 1855 (originally Chacophapeae) seems to be the correct name for a tribe including Chalcophaps Gould, Turtur Boddaert and Oena Swainson. (Even though I cannot remember having ever seen Bonaparte using the rank of tribe; he called the taxa for which he used names in -eae either "groupes", or "séries", never "tribus". He used "série des Chalcophapés" in the text of the paper where he introduced Chalcophapeae.)

I disagree completely, however, that Turturinae Gray 1840 (which can of course not be used for a group including Turtur Boddaert 1783) can be dismissed the way Steven dismisses it. Even if you insist on Gray's attributions to the pre-Linnaean author Ray, Gray himself fulfilled the conditions for the availability for all the names he used in 1840, hence none of these names can be deemed unavailable -- in this case, the type of Turturinae Gray 1840 would be Turtur Gray 1840 (ex Ray), the type of which would be, by original designation, Turtur auritus Gray 1840 (ex Ray), based by Gray 1840 on Pl. Enl. 394, which shows a Turtle Dove. Of course, the subfamily name is based on a junior homonym : this makes it invalid (ICZN 39), but certainly not unavailable (which it would be if it failed to satisfy ICZN 12.2.4 as claimed in the paper). Turturinae Gray 1840 competes for homonymy, and makes any later family-group name based on a senior homonym invalid as well (short of an action by the Commission).

(I would also disagree that Verheyen 1957 was the first to base a family-group name of Turtur Boddaert -- after the revival of Turtur Boddaert by Mathews in 1910, Mathews & Iredale 1920 used a family Turturidae for the Peristeridae of earlier authors, which can only be understood as having been based on Turtur Boddaert.
Note also that Turtur Boddaert is now under threat due to "Turtur Garsault 1767", which would be a senior homonym if Garsault 1767 is accepted as binominal, as some would like it to be.)

Last edited:
Currently Zenaida ? Yes?
Columba Aurita Temminck, 1809: livr. 7, p. 60, pl. 25.

= Zenaida aurita aurita (Temminck, 1809).

Temminck (1809) based his description on several specimens. The one illustrated on pl. 25 is from the collection of Raye van Breukelerwaert. Its whereabouts are unknown.

For dating of this name and those of other pigeons and doves by Temminck in the years 1808–1811, see Dickinson et al. (2010).
Type Specimens of non-passerines Leiden 2023

Last edited:
Currently Zenaida ? Yes?
Columba Aurita Temminck, 1809: livr. 7, p. 60, pl. 25.

= Zenaida aurita aurita (Temminck, 1809).

Temminck (1809) based his description on several specimens. The one illustrated on pl. 25 is from the collection of Raye van Breukelerwaert. Its whereabouts are unknown.

For dating of this name and those of other pigeons and doves by Temminck in the years 1808–1811, see Dickinson et al. (2010).
Merciiii

OD of genus Zenaida:
A geographical and comparative list of the birds of Europe and North America - Biodiversity Heritage Library . Bonaparte 1838. Which confuses me because Bonaparte list another species name to replace his 1825 zenaida species name. But also interesting on this page is a reference to Turtur Ray and Peristera Boie. Footnote 110 of Sherbornia Bruce 2023 states:
In a footnote in GB Gray pointed out that in 1837 Swainson replaced Peristera with Leptoptila. When Swainson (1837: 349) named Leptoptilafor at least some of the American species of ground doves, but with a different type species, he therein recharacterised Peristera as applicable tothe Australian bronzewing pigeons, listing the type species as “P. calcoptera” [sic], i.e., [Columba] chalcoptera Latham, 1790, but this species alreadyhad been made the type of Phaps Selby, 1835. In effect, Peristera Swainson, 1837, not 1827, is a new name even though it was immediately unavailable as a subjective homonym, yet this distinction was not made later. In 1837 Swainson would have viewed his redefinition of Peristera as superseding what he did in 1827, in the days when names were changed along with opinions. Indeed, Peristera is an interesting example of differentauthors interpreting nomenclatural rules in their own ways, as demonstrated by Gray in GB. Within pigeons there also are two other applicationsof Peristera and which also are all subjective homonyms: Peristera Boié, 1828, with type species [Columba] [= Streptopelia] turtur Linnaeus, 1758,by subsequent designation (cf. Salvadori 1893: 396) and Peristera Lesson, 1831, with type species [Columba] javanica Gmelin, 1788 (= [Columba][= Chalcophaps] indica Linnaeus, 1766), by subsequent designation (cf. Salvadori 1893: 491). Much of this type of confusion, as illustrated here,also is about perceived similarities in different groups of birds, in this case, ground doves, found around the world, when morphology was notalways linked to geography. Such seemingly heterogeneous assemblages can be seen in other groupings made by Gray in Appendix I, but this was typical of many classifications of the period and later before the implications of evolution played their part.
Could Bonaparte 1838 use of Turtur Ray sanctify Gray's use in 1840?

Why Megaloprepia formosa becomes Ptilinopus bernsteini when placed in Ptilinopus while I don't see any other species bearing the specific name formosus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back