• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombo (1 Viewer)

Sussex bird man

I've got an extremely short business visit to Colombo this week. Has anyone out there got any thoughts on where to visit nearby that might (and I realise it is a vain hope) produce something? Thanks in advance. Martin

I've got an extremely short business visit to Colombo this week. Has anyone out there got any thoughts on where to visit nearby that might (and I realise it is a vain hope) produce something? Thanks in advance. Martin

Hi Martin,

How much time have you got?

If it's only a few hours limiting you to the area immediately around Colombo then consider Talangama wetlands on the outskirts of Colombo -its only a 45min drive from the main city centre hotels. There is a good range of waterbirds as well as some commoner open woodland species. This is also the best place to see the highly endangered Western subspecies of the Sri Lankan endemic Purple-faced Leaf-Monkey. Here is a link giving some info: http://www.reddottours.com/140/talangama-wetlands-activity-profile.htm with some images of what to expect here: http://www.jetwingeco.com/index.cfm?section=page&id=1253
-there should be more than enough here to keep you going.

If you can spare a day or two then perhaps a short trip to see some of the Sri Lankan endemics at Kithulgala (=Kelani Valley Forest Reserve -where they filmed "Bridge over the river Kwai") or even Sinharaja is a possibility.

If time is the issue but money isn't then contact Jetwings Eco who for a reasonable fee can supply a vehicle/driver-guide who has a good knowledge of local sites and what to see there. Jetwing Eco here: http://www.jetwingeco.com/index.cfm?mid=1&id=1 -A driver-guide from Jetwing could pick you up at the hotel and take you directly to Talangama -either early morning or in the evening and lead you to the most productive areas thus maximizing on your limited time.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am probably replying too late to be of help, however I second Kithugala/Kitugala. I was recently in Sri Lanka on a 3 week birding holiday and Kitugala had by far the largest species list of any of the places I visited - there was a large species overlap with Sinharaja. In fact after Kitugala I had only 3 target species to find in Sinharaja (a starling, a scaly thrush and a babbler). The accommodation is also much better in Kitugala - The Kitugala Rest House has nice AC rooms with great open views across a river to a forest preserve. Nearby there is also a rubber plantation at altitude that is good for many uncommon species. Sisra's river lodge, very close by is also excellent for birding. I went with a driver/guide with Baurs called Chaminda who was superb. There is currently an easily accessible daytime roost of the Serendip Scops Owl in the Forest Area originally found by Chaminda. However, to get the most out of Sri Lanka you need to tour around a bit.

Last edited:
Inside Colombo itself there is some park called vihari park one can see some common birds here also the fruit bat roosting daytime in some numbers. Furthermore in Colombo Beira Lake where I saw the spot billed pelican, the indian cormorant, the red wattled lapwing and so on

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back