• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cold Snap (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Williams

Bonjour,

Looks like there are going to be some very cold conditions coming in from the east in the next few days.

The weather forecast for my department in France is showing daytime temperatures of min -10°C or max -5°C, factor in windchill and it's supposed to feel like -22°C!!! And that's in the daytime, god knows how cold it will go at night.

This will surely freeze solid all bodies of water round here and probably also in the Low Countries.

What will this push off the continent and what could this push into our region from further east? Great Bustard could be a possibility?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/16780545

Look at the size of that high pressure system (phwoaar).

Eastern edge over the Bering Straits, western edge over the UK.

Normal temperature in Moscow at this time of year is -8°C during the day, on Wednesday it's forecast to be -19°C.

Great Bustard, I'm telling you!!

Will certainly buy you a pint Jonathan if one turns up in the next days!!

Normal temperature in Moscow at this time of year is -8°C during the day, on Wednesday it's forecast to be -19°C.

Minus 19 C for Moscow is not unusual however. The cold conditions over here in eastern Europe are pretty much par for the course, the minus 20 outside this night and even minus 30 in the coming are not really unexpected - most winters get periods like this.

Most birds in these parts that are likely to move have long since departed already - I would say the influxes of birds that the UK may get are more likely to be birds that are already present on the near continent, the cold front giving them that extra shove.

Last edited:
There may have been a bit more snow in East Germany than the feeble amount here, but you'd need a lot more to push the Great Bustards west (last winter there were record amounts of snow, which pushed one bird into NL/Belgium).
Reasonable cold snaps in recent winters never pushed anything of note over the North Sea/Channel (although Smew numbers were good in Herts last year).

I wouldn't knock ticking a Smew here, though really would like a Great Bustard! Not sure just how much the cold weather affects some typical cold weather visitors - last year my region had plenty of rough-legged Buzzards with the cold, and this year, it's been the same - minus the cold.

Reasonable cold snaps in recent winters never pushed anything of note over the North Sea/Channel (although Smew numbers were good in Herts last year).

Exactly. Let's be realistic here... Last winter was one of the coldest in living memory and we had nothing. Not too sure a week or so of cold weather will have any effect.

Here's hoping to be proved wrong!

Lets hope for Siberian tit or Pine grosbeak. I think a movement of wildfowl is more likely though.
Lets not forget what turned up last year at this time with similar weather conditions...(I'd really like to clinch BTT properly this year though...)

Lets hope for Siberian tit or Pine grosbeak. I think a movement of wildfowl is more likely though.
Lets not forget what turned up last year at this time with similar weather conditions...(I'd really like to clinch BTT properly this year though...)

As interesting as the influxes of Smew, Goosander and Black Necked Grebes were last year, And Baikal teal the year before, A system which stretches across the entire eurasian landmass will at least be interesting I think.

You need to get out there though. Think of all the possibilities such a system could produce. Sociable plover would be nice!

Owen

Cold weather is great but only if it is EVEN COLDER (with much snow cover) further east! That is why the birds head our way. A simplification of course but..

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back