• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cofton in July (1 Viewer)

ArbroathBirder

I'm having a weeks camping at the start of July at Cofton near Exmouth and wondered if any local birders had any recommendations for places to visit.

I'm not too fussed about targets just wanted some nice places to visit and take in the local wildlife. I've not visited the south west before and my birding in England is limited anyway so anything new adds to my birding experience.

Well you got the Ex Estuary right on your doorstep, Powderham Castle.

For lovely resident swans head into exeter to the river, they have a pair of breeding swans there, which are obviously protected but lovely to see.

If you have time to travel further afield you have the whole of Dartmoor to look at, also Haldon Hill just outside of exeter is meant to be a great place for birds of prey.

Also, its a lot further away, but Slapton Sands, i recommend to anyone...sea, beach, fresh water lake, woodland, marshland....so many different enviroments gives you so many different types of birds/animals/insects etc etc

Cheers Staysee, I know the Cirl Buntings aren't far away but believe that July probably the worst time to get a view.

Anywhere good for warblers? We dont get too many in my part of Scotland so best to make the most of the opportunity

I believe you get some Warblers down at Slapton Sands, but again its a bit of a journey, not too bad if you got a car though, but train/bus is doable.

Any wooded area would be fine....haldon hill and the forest around there, dartmoor possibly.

There is the Exmoor national park, but that is north devon, directly north of you though.

There are some RSPB places around too....http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/

Scroll down a little and put 'Exeter' in the search bar, then you'll have all the local reserves and a map of how close they are to you!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back