• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Co.Durham NZ24/34/35 Local Patch (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

2010 Co.Durham NZ24/25/34/35 Local Patch

This inland Local Patch is centred within NZ34, between Durham & Sunderland. It is a large area, covering parts of the 4 squares, & watched by several keen locals - the majority of birding being non-motorised.

Hard work today, with up to 6" of fresh snow
First couple of birds were calling Skylarks heading north east into the snow @7am, shortly followed by Little Owl & Kingfisher active in the dark prior to 07:30.

Lots of highlight today, but several thousand Pink feet headed south, including a single flock of 750, also Lesser Redpoll, White fronted Goose, Nuthatch, Water Rail, Stock Dove, Woodcock, Grey Partridge, Redshank, Short-eared Owl, Stonechat, Goldeneye etc

MH & I noted 71 species, with a bit of determination & several sites later, we managed the task we set ourselves, seeing all 5 owls - first time either of us have achieved this on New Years Day.
On top of our 71, a further 10 species were seen. Our "miss-list" included:- both wagtails !, Jay, Jack, Tspug, Gcrest, dipped on Dipper, Wigeon, Curlew, Goosander.

Attachments

• Tawny owl.jpg
    Tawny owl.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 172
  • in the freezer.jpg
    in the freezer.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Nice one Stevie not a bad first day of the year.

Hi Adam
Hope 2010 is treating you well.
We walked a fair few mile today, through various habitat, so were expecting to net 60-odd despite the weather - just wish we had a bit coast to go at too !;)
Long stretches were very quiet - for example many thrushes have moved out, several other very reluctant to fly.
Most species were simply getting on with feeding - we saw very few species perched up for any length of time - all very busy
Thought we'd just about got rid of the snow through here, we've had about 3 weeks of continuous snow & icecover. Dare n't think what its like up the Dales .
Looked out expectantly this morning, only to see a near blizzard at 6am
Surely this weather is going to take even more of a toll ? - a Goldeneye on the ice today looked distressed, flailing both its legs above it rear end.
Sadly found our Bittern floating dead the other day, with other recent casualties including Mute Swan, Coot & HGull.

We mentioned game cover recently - a local area with Sunflower & Kale is holding many hundreds of finches & buntings - an obvious, if indirect life-line for these birds, so hopefully they'll have more of a chance . . .

Yeah this weather got to be having some effect by now.Sad news about the Bittern.
Would have thought the Goldeneye would head to the coast,the local Wigeon here went straight to the coast a couple of weeks ago although we are very close to the coast so i guess its easier.

At a farm where i shoot in Wooler a large strip of wheat was left standing this winter which has attracted large numbers of Yellowhamers and Reed buntings in particular so at least they should stand a chance,it has also attracted several thousand Pinkfeet and about 20 Whoopers so that might not be much left.
I didnt get out yesterday so my list is off to a slow start but still managed 200+ pinkfeet several large flocks af Redwing and a single Mute swan over the house aswell as a dozen or so usual garden ticks.

Last edited:
Xmas Eves Iceland Gull now finding its way on this years patch list, singles of Med & YLGull still around, as ever right place right time - constant turnover of birds to & fro at the Biffa tip, with up to 4,000 at any one time.

single Mealy Redpolls within mobile flocks at Houghton, Redpolls outnumbering Siskins for a change.

No further casualties to report - thery're probably burried under the fresh snow, although weakened Heron & Short-eared Owl looking worse for wear.

At home Song Thrush bullied on & off during the day, but he crept back after the Blackbirds had gone to roost at 4:30 & was setting off the security light & feeding in peace up till at least 6pm

At least 85 species noted so far

Is...is.. that a Pintail!:eek!:

Just thought I would rub it in for thoose who didn't go down to HCP today;):-O

cough, cough, cough, cough (count them) ;)

could have been worse . . . might have been a W##dcock

I wonder if its been holed up during the bad weather with the collection birds over the river at WWT ? - Hope it sticks longer than its last appearance (1 day !).

--------------------------------------

90 species on my Local Patch yearlist - not too bad for an inland area in winter - all seen within walking distance of home.

(Once again we are wiping the floor with those G####head B###ers.
Ten ahead of them ;) , Our 101 species recorded on the patch so far with loads of tarty stuff & winter regulars missing so far :- eg. Gadwall, Shoveller, Shelduck, Chiffchaff, Green Sand, Golden Plover).
By end of month we should also be able to add LBBGull, Corn Bunting & GCGrebe.

Highlights
so far include Iceland Gull, Waxwing, Med Gull, R###y Duck, Merlin, Goshawk, Mandarin, Common Redpoll, White fronted Goose and Pintail & what was likely to have been a Black Throated Thrush

Last edited:
Nz14 / Nz15

went west

A rare trip away from the patch this afternoon, up to a cold & snowy Cheap mans well area. (part of a former local patch ;) )

Traditional Roost of 4 Leos & a Woodcock in one Spruce shelterbelt were no surprise.

Pair of Tawny heard after light had gone.

Woodcok over & almost clipping LV cables, it stalled, dropping its right wing to avoid clipping it.
At the same time, 16:50, male & female Long-eared duetting for 5mins untill a dog Fox came over barking regularly, covering ground quickly & headed into the owls wood.

One of the birds let out a series of whick-whack alarm calls, then all fell quiet, moments later one ghosted out of the trees & set off hunting over rough ground.

The Woodcock came back twice both times travelling slowly in a quiet tight arc, no vocalisations - dont know if all the commotion attracted it back in. Waited another 5mins hoping for roding but not this evening (think my earliest date is 16th).

Plenty of deer around & 2 hare, although a 50 min walk back to the car through thawed, soaking ground, capped with deep crusty snow & iced tracks was hard work but very worthwhile.

(picture looking West - saddly owl pics all blurred & dark - even more blurred & dark than usual ! - so hav added an old one which ive edited with our new adobe disk.)

Attachments

• PTP_17Jan.jpg
    PTP_17Jan.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Roe 17 Jan.jpg
    Roe 17 Jan.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 158
  • hawth-Leo-2010.jpg
    hawth-Leo-2010.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 205
  • CMW_17Jan.jpg
    CMW_17Jan.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
A fantastic week of Local Patching.

A fantastic week of Local Patching.

My OFFH List (on foot from home) is now covered in monkeys blood & has a flake sticking out of it.

Taking me up to 99 were the 9 additional species ive managed to catch up over this last week, whilst covering 40+km on foot.

Peregrine, Merlin, Green Sand, Brambling, Shoveller, all evading me so far this month.

Some pics to add to the flavour of the week

(Message to NeilF - i didnt need to consult those folks at the elasticated boundaries commision, as best part of Silky lakes falls within the 6km limit.
Your party gets my vote)

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• monster23jan2010.jpg
    monster23jan2010.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Bittern-in-flight_.jpg
    Bittern-in-flight_.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Tawny-28jan-2010.gif
    Tawny-28jan-2010.gif
    202.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 25Jan_Knot_H.CPk2010.jpg
    25Jan_Knot_H.CPk2010.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 160
  • DCs-BNG-Jan2010.gif
    DCs-BNG-Jan2010.gif
    128.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

(Message to NeilF - i didnt need to consult those folks at the elasticated boundaries commision, as best part of Silky lakes falls within the 6km limit.
Your party gets my vote)

Only jesting of course Steve ;)
My 5km limit only includes the western ponds at Herrington CP and not the main lake which is a bit of a bummer as I can't add Pintail.
After todays explorations I've covered the Wear from Hylton Bridge to Chester-le-St minus the 'Forbidden Zone' and failed miserably in my quest for a rare grebe/diver/smew, but one day......

Only jesting of course Steve ;)
My 5km limit only includes the western ponds at Herrington CP and not the main lake which is a bit of a bummer as I can't add Pintail.
After todays explorations I've covered the Wear from Hylton Bridge to Chester-le-St minus the 'Forbidden Zone' and failed miserably in my quest for a rare grebe/diver/smew, but one day......

go on treat yourself.
kicking myself that last year i forgot to scope down from the top of Pensha hill into WWWT to add Avocet;)
alll mine OFFH, can get to Brasside over the fields no bother, but its a few 100 metres outside - will just have to keep seperate L.Patch & "on foot" totals.

Nipped out at 3pm, but dipped the Oik ! - total still got a flake sticking out of it. - 1 more for the ton . . . .:-O

If anyone wants to contribute their sightings/photos to the annual 'Birds in Durham' book, now is the time to send your records in. This is the only definitive account of birds recorded in County Durham in 2009, so it'd be great to have it as comprehensive as possible.
Details on how to send records in from mvnewsome 'at' hotmail.com, for anyone needing help/advice.
Thank you.

Ton up

Was completely wrong about the Oik clearing off - saw it this morning laying claim to its nest island covered in ice & snow !

3Bullies singing this morning

Drake Pintail remains

Finally managed a Perg, came in high on a mission

OFFH = 101 species.

Some of JBees Hardcore Coot images on the blog - very graphic

Attachments

• Bully_1_FEB_2010.gif
    Bully_1_FEB_2010.gif
    184.7 KB · Views: 151
  • BO_31jan.gif
    BO_31jan.gif
    95.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Pint_1_FEB_2010.gif
    Pint_1_FEB_2010.gif
    186.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Oik_1_FEB_2010.gif
    Oik_1_FEB_2010.gif
    95 KB · Views: 125
  • Snipe_30jan.gif
    Snipe_30jan.gif
    82.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Ramble on

A ramble out East into the oncoming cold & wet, but sun broke out near Warden Law & chanced upon a sunbather !
Filling boots nicely untill my blooming fone went off & woke it up.....

A decent selection of stuff tuning up today WTit, Bully, Goldcrest & my first singing Yellowhammer of the year.

Steve

Attachments

• sunbathing_Feb2010.gif
    sunbathing_Feb2010.gif
    245 KB · Views: 145
Hopefully one of many more to come . . .

A distinctive trilling this morning.
Single Waxwing calling & circling round the junior school 8am
A couple of large Cotoneasters close by, fingers crossed for more . . .

1,000s reported to have moved into Sweden recently.

---------------------------------------------------------

A recent Barn Owl found dead on the patch.

Attachments

• 450deadowlsnow.gif
    450deadowlsnow.gif
    104.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Nz24/25/34/35

A good winter selection continues.
Lengthening days & a strengthening sun hint at the season to come with male Stonechat, Goshawk & Corn Bunting all setting their stalls out.
Lots of Little owls out & about at the moment.

Attachments

• LO_24-Feb-032.gif
    LO_24-Feb-032.gif
    262.8 KB · Views: 155
  • TO_24-Feb-057.gif
    TO_24-Feb-057.gif
    55.5 KB · Views: 157
  • aaaOwlingFeb2010.gif
    aaaOwlingFeb2010.gif
    193 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Highlights this week include
Waxwing (2), Iceland Gull, Bittern, Med Gull, Brambling, Goshawk (m disp), Ruff (2), Green Sandpiper, Hen Harrier (through).
& watching 2 different Ermine with the guy in pic # 1.

Attachments

• 22Feb_owlin.gif
    22Feb_owlin.gif
    128.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Bit_.gif
    Bit_.gif
    249.4 KB · Views: 144
  • GSand.gif
    GSand.gif
    47.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Bittern_.gif
    Bittern_.gif
    263.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Ruff.gif
    Ruff.gif
    109.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Superb couple of days OFFH-ing (On foot from home-ing)

An absolute joy to be out this week.

Netted 89 species on Tuesday & Wednesday with Whooper added on Thursday, being the sole highlight of 6 hours in RMs hide.

A load of fuss (green eyed no doubt) over the locations of a Caspian Gull has taken the sheen off that bird :-C, but that doesnt even come close to this weeks star bird o:D . . .

The months march on . . .

weeks highlights on blog
90 species OFFH on Tues/Wed with 1 more (Whooper Swan) added sitting at the awesome Rainton Meadows Reserve - one visit is all you'll ever need not to bother coming back !

Email any queries / comments to stevieevans"AT"btinternet.com

Attachments

• Little3.gif
    Little3.gif
    80.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Attachments

• Whooper-Swans5.gif
    Whooper-Swans5.gif
    174.5 KB · Views: 129
  • harrier_.gif
    harrier_.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Wheatear_.gif
    Wheatear_.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 142
  • JBBittern_.gif
    JBBittern_.gif
    83.9 KB · Views: 126
  • leo4.jpg
    leo4.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back