• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clements/Ebird 2022 Taxonomy update (1 Viewer)

Yow a surprising number of divergences from SACC there, really a lot more than I might have expected, but essentially none from NACC, which is a bit odd…

Yeah, the NACC divergences seem to be mostly involved with taxa with with extralimital splits. On the other hand, I haven't seen any any IOC lumps that suggest walking back some of their splits. For instance, Yellow-rumped Warbler and Green-winged Teal should have been been dealt with based on WGAC's list of what groups they have gotten to.

The Green Pheasant split is relevant to the ABA, as that species is probably established in Hawaii. Does the status of the introduced Common Hill Mynas in Florida and White-rumped Shamas in Hawaii remain the same?

Green Pheasant is considered extirpated from Hawaii, at least according to the Bishop Museum, the last population seemingly dying out something like a decade ago.

The Hill Myna and White-rumped Shama splits I don't believe effect the widespread introduced forms in the ABA.

Green Pheasant? Here in British Columbia eBird has reclassified all of our Ring-necked Pheasant sightings as "Ring-necked/Green Pheasant". Of course that doesn't mean that Green Pheasant is established here, it simply means that all of those Pheasants are descended from escapees from the place which breeds them for hunting. And no doubt there were Green Pheasants involved in the breeding process.

Green Pheasant? Here in British Columbia eBird has reclassified all of our Ring-necked Pheasant sightings as "Ring-necked/Green Pheasant". Of course that doesn't mean that Green Pheasant is established here, it simply means that all of those Pheasants are descended from escapees from the place which breeds them for hunting. And no doubt there were Green Pheasants involved in the breeding process.
Ebird is going to be wonky for the next week or two. They will probably switch over Ring-necked Pheasant soon.

Ebird is going to be wonky for the next week or two. They will probably switch over Ring-necked Pheasant soon.
I'm not so sure about that. The eBird app wants us to report Ring-necked/Green, and if we want to report Ring-necked sensu stricto it wants a description of the bird. But we'll see, the maps are still wonky for those taxa.

Something I didn't realize that is worth pointing out is that the subspecies of Golden-crowned/Golden-bellied Flycatcher have been reshuffled, with all but one subspecies being transferred to Golden-bellied. So folks who have one or both of these species should double-check there lists, as they might end up losing a species.

This is detailed here:

Something I didn't realize that is worth pointing out is that the subspecies of Golden-crowned/Golden-bellied Flycatcher have been reshuffled, with all but one subspecies being transferred to Golden-bellied. So folks who have one or both of these species should double-check there lists, as they might end up losing a species.

This is detailed here:
There's also a subspecies of Green-breasted Mango moved into Black-throated Mango, a subspecies of Sulawesi Scops-Owl moved into Moluccan Scop-Owl, and a few subspecies of Tropical Scrubwren moved into Large Scrubwren.

I just saw that Cyornis stresemanni, hoevelli, oscillans and sanfordi have been transferred to Eumyias. Do you know of any molecular data about these birds?

I have got other things that need doing first and have not looked at the changes yet but logging on to eBird my list of species has shot up from 4020 to 4032, and that's only about 80% of my full list, so it looks promising.

Edit: couldn't resist a quick look. Surprised to see some lumps such as Bannerman's (Cape Verde) Buzzard and Maghreb Lark, the latter only split a few years ago. That's two off my WP list.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that. The eBird app wants us to report Ring-necked/Green, and if we want to report Ring-necked sensu stricto it wants a description of the bird. But we'll see, the maps are still wonky for those taxa.
Yeah, that's just wonky taxonomy update stuff. They'll back to being Ring-necked Pheasants in a few weeks. For now just report them as the slash option in the app and they'll be fixed later.

I have got other things that need doing first and have not looked at the changes yet but logging on to eBird my list of species has shot up from 4020 to 4032, and that's only about 80% of my full list, so it looks promising.

Edit: couldn't resist a quick look. Surprised to see some lumps such as Bannerman's (Cape Verde) Buzzard and Maghreb Lark, the latter only split a few years ago. That's two off my WP list.
Maghreb Lark surprised me too. Seems divergence from IOC direction of travel, and didn't notice it flagged. African Reed Warbler re-lump with Reed was more expected.
Atlas Wheatear has finally been recognised, but no recognition of Maghreb Wheatear nor of African Crimson-winged Finch.

Edit: now read the reasoning for the relumping of Maghreb Lark. Doesnt seem reasonable for a change as citing lack of data.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what's going on with the ranges for the new Amazonian/Grey-headed Elaenias (formerly Grey Elaenia?). Specifically, what species should they be in southern Amazonia. I saw "Grey Elaenia" in the Manu area of SE Peru which by most maps I think should be Amazonian. However on eBird my records have been converted to Grey-headed Elaenia, which I thought had more of a Pantanal through to Atlantic Brazil distribution.

Yeah, it's a bit odd. But doing some further digging, birds in SE Peru seemed to cluster with Grey-headed, not Amazonian. So I think eBird data is right and Birds of the World is wrong. Of course, it's possible that both species are present. They're hardly the easiest birds to get samples from!

Geographic variation and phylogenetic relationships of Myiopagis olallai (Aves: Passeriformes; Tyrannidae), with the description of two new taxa from the Northern Andes

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back