• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clements 2021 Update Coming! (1 Viewer)

raymie

United States
It looks it will be fully implemented sometime after August 17:

71 splits (resulting in a gain of 94 species), a loss of 8 species due to lumps, and the addition of 17 newly described species. Any guesses?

Last edited:
It looks like changes are confirmed for Sedge Wren, Mew Gull, Rufous-capped Warbler, Scrub Euphonia, Black-eared Wheatear, and Subalpine Warbler.

Yeah I think its a given that all of the NACC/SACC splits from the last two years will be in. More curious what if any splits are from other parts of the world, which Clements usually is playing a bit of catch-up on.

Although my real interest is the groups, since that lets me know what if any adjustments I need to do to my future potential splits page

It looks like changes are confirmed for Sedge Wren, Mew Gull, Rufous-capped Warbler, Scrub Euphonia, Black-eared Wheatear, and Subalpine Warbler.
Those certainly would not make up the numbers mentioned in the previous post.
71 splits (resulting in a gain of 94 species), a loss of 8 species due to lumps, and the addition of 17 newly described species.
Niels

IOC 11.2 is on 10912. Clements 2021 will be on 10824 apparently. I am really pleased to see Clements and IOC converging finally - mostly so that eBird will make more sense in the E Hemisphere. They are already very close to aligned in the W Hemisphere. I wonder how many species will remain where Clements actively maintains difference instead of just needing to catch up further (ie in countries like Indonesia).

Since its last update in August 2019, Clements is going to add 71 splits. However, according to my rough count, in that same period the IOC has added 146 splits, 97 from version 11.2 alone. I didn’t count new species or lumps.

Although it’s nice to see Clements accepting new splits, its clear that they still have a very long way to go to catch up. Makes me wonder if they’re even interested in converging with other checklists.

Dave

Cornell are well represented on the working group looking at more alignment between the checklists. It could be that their recent focus has been aligning Clements and Birds Alive.

It will be interesting to see if working group Avian checklist down the line ends up being closer to IOC or to other checklists. In particular, there are several noticeable deviations from Clements, including the usage of whitestart vs redstart for some New World warbler, and splits of things like Fox Sparrow and Yellow-rumped Warbler, followed by IOC but not NACC

The Eurasian/Green-winged Teal taxonomy habitually seems to go under the radar. For British birders it is probably the commonest tick that causes variation between Clements and the BOU official, I’m 444 on eBird.

It will be interesting to see if working group Avian checklist down the line ends up being closer to IOC or to other checklists. In particular, there are several noticeable deviations from Clements, including the usage of whitestart vs redstart for some New World warbler, and splits of things like Fox Sparrow and Yellow-rumped Warbler, followed by IOC but not NACC
Never understood why they used Redstart?

So instead of having two standards (Clements/eBird & IOC) there will be a third standard from the Avian Checklist Working Group. Wonderful! The nice thing about standards is you have so many from which to choose.

So instead of having two standards (Clements/eBird & IOC) there will be a third standard from the Avian Checklist Working Group. Wonderful! The nice thing about standards is you have so many from which to choose.
Actually I think we have 4 standards, because you also have Howard & Moore and Birdlife International

I believe the idea is for these checklists, or at least some of these, to merge into one new one, versus all of the old ones hanging around.

I believe the idea is for these checklists, or at least some of these, to merge into one new one, versus all of the old ones hanging around.

I will be keenly interested to see which (if any, as you say) of the checklists are going to merge into the One List To Rule Them All.

I will be keenly interested to see which (if any, as you say) of the checklists are going to merge into the One List To Rule Them All.
I got the impression IOC was going to transition to this, as I seem to recall key IOC folks being behind the implementation of this.

I will be more interested in what BIRDERS are going to transition over, and if we do get universal adoption, what degree of gnashing of teeth will we see...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back