• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cirl Bunting in August? (3 Viewers)

hollis_f

Hi All,

We're planning a trip to South Devon mid-August and would love to see Cirl Buntings. Doing some searching leads me to believe that Prawle Point is the best place. However, just about all the info I've found is two, or more, years old. Is it still the case that PP is our best bet? If there were as good a site (or better) a bit further east it would make the logistics much easier.

Thanks in advance
Frank

Frank,

Prawle is the top spot and you are almost guaranteed them.

There are other sites but they are much more difficult

Mark

One word of caution is that the car park fills up very quickly at Prawle Point at that time of year. Cirl Buntings seem to be doing pretty well in South Devon at the moment. I go on holiday each august to Hope Cove (just the other side of Salcombe) and saw loads including a family group last year.

Like the men say.

Check the scrub just below the car park on the left. Give it some time. There are Yellowhammers here too so don't get fooled by the females. This is as good a spot as any, but if you don't have any luck, walk along the coast path towards Start Point - you could find them in the bushes and fields at anywhere between here and East Prawle Wood (perhaps further along too, but I don't know that stretch).

Much easier than making the trek to Prawle is to try somewhere such as Berry Head. They can be seen quite easily not far from the car park.

There is also Broadsands beach in nearby Churston. The birds are in and around the surrounding fields - especially the ones towards Ebury Cove.

Darrell

Last edited:
As Darrell says, Berry Head is a good spot, I think I have never failed to see them there each time. Handy if the winds are right and you can do a seawatch here. Big car park too.

Not sure what you mean by " bit further east" but I always see Cirls at Little Dartmouth NT (good-size free car park at SX874491, just walk SSE down the coast path). Agree Berry Head too.

Many thanks for all the advice. We've got two days in the area so we should be able to check out a few alternative sites if Prawle Point fails to deliver.

Hi everyone,

Just came across this old thread and looking for any updates on the best places to find Cirl Buntings in Devon in late August - would be a nice addition to the year list.

Is Berry Head still good, as it's the closest place to where we are staying?

Hopefully there might be a bit more by way of seawatching and migrants by then too!

Thanks and good birding!

Yes, John. Berry Head is still good for Cirls Buntings and is producing a few seabirds each day at the moment from the quarry below the cliffs. All the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back