• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China Birds (Nick Sismey) 2011 List (UK, China, Hong Kong & ?) (1 Viewer)

19 March 11 (Continued…)

Before leaving the salt pans and heading for the Royal Project to meet up with Phil, one of Dave’s birding friends, who was miss netting, we stopped where Dave indicated was the best place for Nordmann’s Greenshank.

Amongst a flock of Great Knot he spotted two of the rare greenshank asleep. Unfortunately both species were too far away to photograph but Dave had again come up trumps finding the second endangered species of the day

253.Great Knot-----------------------Pak Thale-------------------Thailand
254.Nordmann’s Greenshank---Pak Thale----------------Thailand

The Royal Project (Photo1) is a small park called Laem Phak Bia initiated by The King as an Environmental Research and Development Project. It consists of fish ponds and mangrove plantations.

Entering the park Black Drongos and Zebra Doves were in plentiful supply with Little Grebe feeding in the fish ponds.

255.Zebra Dove----------------------Laem Phak Bia------------Thailand

Arriving at the wooden open sided building built on a platform over one of the fish ponds we found Phil and three other birders (Photo 2) weighing, measuring and ringing the birds recently caught in their nets. The care they were taking in ensuring the birds were not over stressed was a tribute to their skills.

They were processing a Dusky Warbler (Photo 3) and a Black Capped Kingfisher, when we arrived. Meanwhile out on the bank of one of the fish ponds a Black Crowned Night Heron stood motionless.

After the warbler and kingfisher were released a Pied Fantail and a Collared Kingfisher (Photo 4) were pulled out of the white collection bags. I was given the honour of releasing the kingfisher by releasing my two fingers carefully clamped either side of its neck and standing it on my other hand. It didn’t stay there long.

256.Pied Fantail-----------------------Laem Phak Bia-------------Thailand
257.CollaredKingfisher----------------Laem Phak Bia------------Thailand

Phil then explained the distinguishing features of a Pale Legged Leaf Warbler (Photo 5), which were much easier to see in the hand than in the field.

258.Pale Legged Leaf Warbler--------Laem Phak Bia------------Thailand

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
19 March 11 (Continued…)

While the four ringers went to check their nets again Dave and I wondered around the mangroves picking up two lifers in quick succession. Several Racket Tailed Treepees, who lived up to their name and a Golden Bellied Gerygone, whose name was much grander than the bird itself, appeared. Neither were playing ball as far as allowing themselves to be photographed, disappearing back into the mangrove. A Greater Coucal was similarly difficult to spot.

259.Racket Tailed Treepee---------Laem Phak Bia---Thailand
260.Golden Bellied Gerygone-------Laem Phak Bia---Thailand

Back at the ringing headquarters Dave heard a Blue Tailed Bee Eater (Photo1 – taken later) fly over, we were soon onto it.

261.Blue Tailed Bee Eater--------------Laem Phak Bia----Thailand

Birds were not the only wildlife in the park; large Water Monitors (Photo 2) surrounded many of the lakes. Some were the length of our car, which we stayed in whenever we came across them.

An Oriental Reed Warbler (Photo 3) had been captured this time, a big warbler if there ever was one, and a Common Tailorbird

262.Oriental Reed Warbler---------------Laem Phak Bia-------Thailand

It was then time for Phil and his team to pack away the nets and for Dave and I to thank them for their hospitality and bid them farewell. Back in the car a Little Ringed Plover was feeding in the first drained fish pond we came to.

Our first summer plumaged Javan Pond Heron (Photo 4) then finally showed; all of the other pond herons we had seen being in winter plumage making it very difficult to distinguish between Javan and Chinese. This bird was crouched down on a bank on the driver’s side of the car so I had to clamber over poor ole Dave to get this shot!

263.Javan Pond Heron---------------Laem Phak Bia--------Thailand

Before that lifer went into the book another stood in front of us, a Red Wattled Lapwing (Photo 5)

264.Red Wattled Lapwing------------Laem Phak Bia--------Thailand

Before we left the park we picked up a White Breasted Waterhen and a Brown Shrike. A Temminck’s Stint was feeding on the edge of the salt pan as we arrived back on the main road.

265.Brown Shrike-------------------------Laem Phak Bia--------Thailand

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 67
19 March 11 (Continued…)

Stopping near a salt storage building (Photo1) to check out a large flock of Great Knot Dave pointed out several red Knot.

We then tried to get closer views of the Nordmann’s Greenshank but they had moved. Pacific Golden Plover and Black Tailed Godwit kept the list ticking over.

A couple of miles from here we turned inland where a large grassed area (Photo 2) near Petch Buri was home to at least 100 Oriental Pratincoles (Photo 3) the majority feeding on insects above our heads.

266.Oriental Pratincole------------------Petch Buri------------Thailand

Having passed through the town of Petch Buri the landscape changed again, with picture postcard views of paddy fields and palm trees (Photo 4). A White Throated Kingfisher disappeared across the fields as we passed.

Then we spotted one of Thailand’s more extraordinary birds the Asian Openbill (Photo 5), another of the birds I was keen to see, which became my 900th life bird. Once we had seen one, we saw hundreds, fields were covered in them and towards the end of the day a large flock was circling in the thermals.

267.Asian Openbill------------------Petch Buri-----------Thailand

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 73
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
19 March 11 (Continued…)

No sooner had we got back in the car after seeing the Open Bills when I spotted a bird on top of a telegraph pole. Dave reversed back and exclaimed “Oh it’s only an Indian Roller (Photo 1)”, “Only an Indian Roller, I have never seen any type of roller!” I exclaimed. What a majestic bird.

268.Indian Roller-----------------------------Petch Buri----------------------Thailand

Two straight nights with a grand total of only 6 hours sleep was starting to take its toll on me by now and it was only Dave stopping the car and asking me 30 minutes later if I had seen Bronze Winged Jacana’s (Photo 2) before that woke me. I hadn’t, but looking to my left I suddenly had! Could the day get any better? Thailand is certainly a birdwatchers paradise.

269.Bronze Winged Jacana-----------------Petch Buri----------------------Thailand

It did get better, we had stopped in a small village (Photo 3) where Baya Weavers (Photo 4) were doing what they do best, weaving a new nest; three lifers in 30 minutes.

270.Baya Weaver----------------------------Petch Buri----------------------Thailand

Several Black Eared Kites were quartering the fields behind the jacana area. While I was watching those Dave found two more raptors circling high overhead. One was a Black Shouldered Kite, the second wasn’t decided upon until later when Dave checked his photograph against his books, a Grey Faced Buzzard, lifer number four in such a short space of time.

271.Grey Faced Buzzard--------------------Petch Buri--------------------Thailand

And we weren’t done yet, the familiar sound of a woodpecker turned out to be a pair of Fulvous Breasted Woodpecker, while an unusual sparrow became a Plain Backed Sparrow, two more lifers. I was rather pleased we had stopped at this village!

272.Fulvous Breasted Woodpecker----------Petch Buri------------------Thailand
273.Plain Backed Sparrow-------------------Petch Buri-----------------Thailand

Dave had to be back in Bangkok earlier than expected to pick his wife up from the airport as she had twisted her back while on a business trip in Indonesia so time was by now against us. Plain Prinia, Chinese Pond Heron (a summer plumaged one at last), Wood Sandpiper, and Feral Pigeons (resting on most buildings) where all added to the day list however before we headed back to the city we made a brief stop at a raptor watch point where a large fire was attracting many raptors, the biggest being a Greater Spotted Eagle being relentlessly mobbed by Black Eared Kites

Time was extremely tight after this, so Bangkok was the next stop. Well not quite, I spotted another eagle and Dave being Dave, just like me, he had to check it out. He was so pleased he did as it was a glorious Steppe Eagle (Photo 5), very rare in these parts!

274.Steppe Eagle----------------------------------Petch Buri---------------------Thailand

Buoyed with our success Dave sped off towards Bangkok without sparing the horses. We agreed that he could drop me off on the airport side of town and catch a taxi to the hotel to save him time. In the end I decided to visit a Limpini Park, which he had recommended I visit the next morning, this evening instead, so Dave gave the taxi driver the alternate instructions.

I had been continually thanking Dave throughout the day for being kind enough to take me out birding, but I didn’t let that stop me thanking him again. I would have been totally lost without him and would not have seen half the birds we had seen, I was totally indebted to him.

More to follow….

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
19 March 11 (Continued…)

Ten minutes later I was walking into Lumpini Park (Photo 1), the lawns manicured and wonderfully soft under foot interspersed by several lakes (Photo 2) and a world of different trees. A Yellow Browed Warbler was singing in one of the first trees and then I heard the familiar call of a barbet.

As I approached the area I thought it was in, the sound started playing tricks on my senses. One minute it sounded as if the bird was in front of me, the next way over to my right, or was it to my left?. I decided to just stop in one place and finally spotted the bird directly overhead its whole body pulsating as it made the unmistakable repetitive sound of a barbet. It then flew onto an adjacent tree where it was chipping out a nest hole, a Coppersmith Barbet (Photo 3)

275.Coppersmith Barbet-------------------------Lumpini Park----------------Thailand

Minutes later both Scarlet Backed Flowerpeckers (Photo 4) and Olive Backed Sunbirds were speeding round the tops of the trees.

276.Scarlet Backed Flowerpecker---------------Lumpini Park----------------Thailand
277.Olive Backed Sunbird------------------------Lumpini Park---------------Thailand

Over the lakes House Swifts were in large numbers, and Black Collared Starlings were arguing over the ownership of a street light. My final year bird of the day was a Little Heron leaving the park for its roost.

278.Little Heron-----------------------------------Lumpini Park---------------Thailand

At six o’clock I witnessed one of the Bangkok rituals where everyone stops what they are doing while a song praising the king is played. It didn’t last long but it was as if everything was in suspended motion.

As the sun set over the Bangkok skyscrapers (Photo 5) and the park filled with noisy Large Billed Crows I picked up a taxi and returned to the hotel.

While the appalling performance by Thai Birding still left a nasty taste in the mouth, thanks to Dave I had seen 96 different species during the day including 48 year birds and 21 Life Birds. It was certainly a day I will never forget and I know who I will be calling should I return! Thanks Dave so, so very much……

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 74
20 March 11

From my hotel window looking over Bangkok (Photo1) a Peregrine and an Asian Open Bill were circling in the thermals, the former taking my Thai birds to 97

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 73
24 March 11

An hour walk around Zhongshan Park, Shanghai, before work, was rewarded with a Red Billed Leiothrix (Photo 1) in fact a party of them. They were feeding in the quietest part of the park (Photo 2), everywhere else was full, and I mean full, of Shanghai locals going through their daily exercise regime.

279.Red Billed Leiothrix--------------Zhongshan Park---------China

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 59
26 March 11

A first visit to the wonderful South China Botanical Gardens (Photos 1 & 2) Guangzhou before I flew home was certainly worthwhile. Andrew Wang from our local office provided the transport and we were as usual joined by local birder Lool who brought along with her a fellow birder Mr Li.

The first new year bird of the day was a family of Yellow Billed Grosbeaks followed quickly by a China year bird a lone Great Tit.

280.Yellow Billed Grosbeak---------Guangzhou-------------China

Deeper in the park what looked like buntings kept flying into some tall trees. It wasn’t until a splendid male joined the group that we identified them as Common Rosefinch (Photo 3)

281.Common Rosefinch-------------Guangzhou--------------China

Red Whiskered Bulbul kept the China list ticking over nicely before Lool identified a Fork Tailed Sunbird high overhead.

282.Fork Tailed Sunbird-------------Guangzhou--------------China

As the park filled with locals we moved to ever quieter areas, one producing a Tristram’s Bunting (Photo 4), the next a lifer, a Rufous Tailed Robin ticking away deep in a bush.

283.Tristram’s Bunting--------------Guangzhou--------------China
284.Rufous Tailed Robin---------Guangzhou-----------China

We were very puzzled by three birds atop of one tree, they looked like a type of starling, but no starling Lool and I had seen before, they were bright red! Birdforum came up trumps as usual with one keen eyed member suggesting that they had been dyed for the pet trade and either escaped or released.

Both Chestnut (Photo 5) and Sooty Headed Bulbuls frequented the gardens while a Spangled Drongo was bullying Chinese Bulbuls high up a tree over the rightful owner of the blossoms.

285.Chestnut Bulbul----------------Guangzhou---------------China
286.Sooty Headed Bulbul----------Guangzhou---------------China
287.Spangled Drongo---------------Guangzhou--------------China

It was a short visit, I was on the way to the airport by 2pm, but as usual any birding with Lool is worthwhile! A big thanks to Andrew for getting up early and taking us there.

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Photo3.jpg
    Photo3.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 81
  • Photo4.jpg
    Photo4.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 57
27 March 11

Passing through Schipol Airport on the way back to the UK dawn broke (Photo1) 30 minutes before I caught my next flight. The long taxi to the runway added a surprising 12 more birds to my Dutch list in the following order: -

Jackdaw, Herring Gull, Grey Heron, Coot, Mallard, Magpie, Starling, Lapwing, Black Headed Gull, Sparrowhawk, Wheatear and Curlew

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 60
2 April 2011

Having not been out birding with Steve since January it was time to make a mends. Picking him up at 0810 we made the 40 minute drive to Stanage Edge, a rocky outcrop in northern Derbyshire. Before reaching our destination we were already passing through moorland where a Red Grouse took refuge under a fence as we passed by.

288.Red Grouse-------------------Hathersage--------------England

Minutes later we were walking towards Stanage Edge (Photo1), the wind was blowing a gale, but at least it was dry. Once up on the top you could almost lean against the wind. A Raven croaking overhead battled against the vortices streaming off the rocks.

289.Raven-------------------------Stanage Edge-----------England

Steve had moved well ahead of me and suddenly waved his arms and pointed downwards below us. A Ring Ouzel flashed past and was gone in a second. We only saw the bird once more and then the rain closed in giving us a good soaking on the way back to the car, well at least on one side of us!

290.Ring Ouzel-------------------Stanage Edge------------England

After some hot drinks we were ready for more. Where next though? After much umming and ahhing we decided to visit Chatsworth Estate and look for Goshawk. The weather improved the further we descended so much so it was excellent Goshawk weather by the time we had parked up (Photo 2). There were at least ten Buzzards circling in various areas over the woods, and even a party of five Grey Herons decided to utilise the thermals reaching an incredible height before departing on their way. Steve then got onto a Goshawk and carefully guided me onto the bird. We were having a very good day!

291.Goshawk-----------------------Chatsworth-------------England

Steve then took me to another old haunt of his through the other side of the picturesque village of Rowsley where we had views of the opposite side of the wood in the Chatsworth Estate. Again we picked out a Goshawk and watched it descend and perch in a tree.

While at Rowsley a flock of Sand Martins added to my year list and I finally got onto one of the many Chiffchaffs that we had heard calling. Steve had promised me Grey Wagtails in the stream and right on queue they appeared, a pair, taking my UK year list to 148.

292.Sand Martin-------------------Rowsley-----------------England
293.Chiffchaff----------------------Rowsley-----------------England

After lunch we moved to Ogston Reservoir (Photo 3) where Sandwich and Common Tern as well as three Osprey had been reported that morning. Little Ringed Plovers were in plentiful supply along the edge of the reservoir while a Swallow took me to 150 in the UK.

We decided to put up camp in the public hide and after 30 minutes or so were pleased we had as an Osprey (Photo 4) came in over the dam. After a couple of unsuccessful fishing attempts it then had to fight off up to three crows at a time who were not keen to have the osprey around.

By the time I had dropped Steve off and arrived home I had completed 114 miles and had a great day!

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 81
9 April 2011

A relatively leisurely start had Steve and I at the Fisherman’s Car Park (Photo1), Rutland Water at 0815 in search of Long Tailed Duck. While we failed to spot that bird a Common Tern (Photo 2 – taken later) was feeding over the far side of the reservoir.

294.Common Tern----------------Rutland Water----------England

Then it was off to Hambleton Wood (Photo 3), on what was turning out to be a glorious day, to check if the Nightingales had arrived as they had already been seen in Lincolnshire. Again we would be disappointed but the wood was full of Blackcaps (Photo 4)

295.Blackcap---------------------Rutland Water-----------England

Back at the car a Willow Warbler was calling atop a tree.

296.Willow Warbler-------------Rutland Water------------England

After refreshments we moved onto Eyebrook Reservoir (Photo 5) where our luck changed as, thanks to another birder, we were straight onto the summer plumaged Slavonian Grebe.

297.Slavonian Grebe------------Eyebrook Reservoir------England

More to follow…….

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 59
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    240.9 KB · Views: 61
9 April 2011 (Continued)

While at Eyebrook Steve and I visited a well known tree that is almost a certain for Little Owls, as Steve had not yet added them to his year list. What we came across disgusted us to our core, two dead crows hung from the lower bows of the tree by rope (Photo 1 & 2). I appreciate farmers believe they are vermin and want to discourage them but there are far better ways than making an exhibition of the birds like this. This should not be part of the countryside in this day and age.

The birds found themselves at the bottom of a hedge after we had left.

As a side a Little Owl did fly out of the tree.

Back at Rutland Water, close to Lagoon 4, in an overgrown area of the reserve (Photo 3) we found a Sedge Warbler (Photo 4) in full song.

298.Sedge Warbler-----------------Rutland Water--------England

We then paid our first visit to the new lagoons to the south of the Bird Watching Centre where we finally came across several Yellow Wagtails (Photo 5). We had expected to see them all day so it was nice to finish off the day with a flash of colour.

This leaves me on 158 UK birds for the year, while 298 is a record number of year birds by this date.

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 60
Thank you very much to the fourth person to rank this thread

18 April 2011

An hour pass out before my joint daughter’s and grandson’s (his first) birthday party gave me just enough time to nip down to Attenborough Nature Reserve where a Whitethroat (Photo1) was calling in the main car park (Photo 2)

299.Whitethroat-------------------Attenborough-----------England

As I made my way towards the path leading to Tower Hide I asked a couple of birders if the Grasshopper Warbler was still around. They both smiled and exclaimed, “Yes still on the post!”

Sure enough when I arrived several other birders (Photo 3) were gathered within 10 feet of the bird (Photo 4) which clearly hadn’t read the rule book regarding where it should be reeling! What a nice way to reach my 300th year bird.

300.Grasshopper Warbler---------Attenborough----------England

With just a few minutes to spare I then climbed Tower Hide giving unbroken views of the reed beds where a Reed Warbler was calling atop a reed stem.

301.Reed Warbler-----------------Attenborough-----------England

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    294.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 64
23 April 2011

Meeting up with Steve at Attenborough Nature Reserve (Photo1) at 7am this morning a short walk to view Church Pond (Photo 2) in search of Black Tern actually produced two male and a female Garganey (Photo 3 – digi-scoped) at the far side of the pond.

302.Garganey-----------------Attenborough----------------England

Minutes later Steve got onto a Garden Warbler (Photo 4) which was singing deep inside a small tree.

303.Garden Warbler---------Attenborough----------------England

It would be three hours before the next year bird went into the book. Meanwhile we had again photographed the most photographed Grasshopper Warbler in history singing from its favourite post and spotted three different Cetti’s Warblers.

I left Steve with the Grasshopper Warbler and went for some refreshments. Speaking to one of the wardens he advised that he had seen four Black Terns on Clifton Pond at around 7am. It was now after 10am but I decided to visit Kingfisher Hide (Photo 5) to search for the birds. After 20 minutes I called Steve, who I could see still photographing the Gropper (how many photos?), telling him “That there had been Black Terns here this morning but no sign………………..hang on two have just flown in!” Both birds settled on a post way off in the distance and were immediately chased off by a Black Headed Gull. Before Steve arrived at the hide they had disappeared south over the Trent. They would not be seen again!

304.Black Tern---------------Attenborough-----------------England

Just before I left for home I had another look at the Garganey when a flock of House Martins flew over their heads

305.House Martin------------Attenborough----------------England

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 51
24 April 2011

A quick mid afternoon trip to Willington (Photo1) in search of Lesser Whitethroat (Photo 2) couldn’t have gone better. As soon as I parked up I heard a Lesser Whitethroat calling, looked out of the window and there it was on top of a dead tree, singing to its heart’s content, totally out of character for such a skulking bird.

306.Lesser Whitethroat----------------Willington---------England

I could have turned round there and then and left but decided to stay for an hour or so, with a total of four Lesser Whitethroats showing over the next hour. I also introduced a new birder to the same bird which left him very pleased as he had been trying to spot them on several previous occasions without success.

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 57
25 April 2011

Arriving at Padley Gorge (Photo1) at 0730 hours and descending into the ancient birch and oak woodland Redstarts were calling in various locations but I didn’t manage to lock onto one for a good twenty minutes as they were extremely flighty. Finally I spotted a bird way up on top of one of the tallest trees, a year tick even if it was just too far away to photograph.

307.Redstart--------------------Padley Gorge--------------England

While watching the Redstart I got talking to another birder who said there was a Whinchat further up the gorge. Mental note taken re the Whinchat, we both walked further into the wood, in fact quite away (Photo 2) before the first Pied Flycatcher (Photo 3) began to sing. The male just watched and occasionally inspected as the female brought in nesting material for the nest box!

308.Pied Flycatcher-------------Padley Gorge--------------England

I then made my way to the last wooden bridge (Photo 4) over the narrow river at the top of the gorge where sure enough a single male Whinchat (Photo 5) was singing. It was very nervous preventing any close approaches.

309.Whinchat--------------------Padley Gorge-------------England

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 56
27 April 2011

Joining Steve and his partner Bren at her house in Matlock Bath (Photo1) at 8am Steve drove us to Bempton Cliffs RSPB reserve (Photo 2) where the first year bird were Gannets (Photo 3) riding the updrafts from the cliffs. These were viewable before we even left the car park.

310.Gannet-----------------Bempton Cliffs-----------------England

It was a beautiful if cold and windy day excellent for taking close up photos of tube nosed Fulmars (Photo 4).

Kittiwakes (Photo 5) were busy, like many birds building nests, the dead grass at the top of the cliffs making ideal nesting material.

311.Kittiwake--------------Bempton Cliffs-----------------England

My 2011 UK list now stands at 171 equalling my best for this date in 2009.

More to follow.....

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo2.jpg
    Photo2.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 55
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 66
27 April 2011 (Continued…)

The black and white feathers of the Razorbill (Photos 1&2) made them very conspicuous as they flew by the Guillemots (Photo 3) being noticeably more grey/brown in flight. With the number of new birders walking the cliff top path this was the easiest way of explaining what they were looking at.

312.Razorbill-----------------------Bempton Cliffs---------England
313.Guillemot----------------------Bempton Cliffs---------England

Of course most people were there for the Puffins (Photos 4&5) and at one point a group of six ladies commandeered my scope as the only Puffin in view at that time was tucked away in a vertical fissure in the cliffs.

314.Puffin--------------------------Bempton Cliffs----------England

A lone Shag flew out from the base of the cliffs and immediately disappeared back from whence it came, my only view of same during the 5 hours we were at Bempton.

315.Shag---------------------------Bempton Cliffs----------England

My 2011 UK list now stands at 175, the best for this date in the year.

More to follow……

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 53
27 April 2011 (Continued…)

While discussing the birds in view with one of the RSPB guides he mentioned that there was a Woodchat Shrike near Parish Wood in Filey. Therefore after some sustenance we set off for Filey. Just as we parked up an air/sea rescue helicopter passed overhead twice and landed at the top of the cliff. We hoped it hadn’t buzzed the bird!

Passing through the wood we came across a grassed field (Photo1) where the shrike had been seen just before the helicopter had arrived, according to another Derby based birder. Once the helicopter left the scene we wondered round the perimeter of the field where after about 15 minutes the Woodchat Shrike (Photo 2) appeared on the fence. It would take an hour before it came close enough for a reasonable shot. A wonderful bird my first in the UK since May ’06.

316.Woodchat Shrike---------------Filey-------------------England

It was then down to the beach (Photo 3) where we headed towards the very slippery rocks off Filey Brigg where, right at the end several Purple Sandpiper (Photo 4) were feeding amongst the seaweed as were four Knot (Photo 5)

317.Purple Sandpiper---------------Filey Brigg-------------England

After a delightful meal in an Italian restaurant in Filey it was back to Derbyshire arriving on my drive at midnight.

My 2011 UK list now stands at 177, six ahead of the previous best for this date set in 2009. I am also well ahead of my shortest mileage for 177 birds, currently sitting at 1,653.3 miles as apposed to 2,402.8 last year.

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Photo5.jpg
    Photo5.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 65
28 April 2011

A family day trip to Rhyl (Photo1) in North Wales, for my one year old Grandson to see the beach for the first time, produced Sandwich Terns (Photo 2 – taken 30Apr11) which could be heard as soon as we got out of the car.

318.Sandwich Tern---------------Rhyl------------------------Wales

Later in the day my son-in-law and I went crab hunting along one of the groins (Photo 3) where Whimbrel (Photo 4 – taken 29Apr11) were feeding in a small island encrusted with barnacles, limpets and mussels.

Before we left my wife wanted to make sure she got her feet wet in the encroaching tide (Photo 5). While there a family of Little Terns were feeding just off shore.

My 2011 UK list now stands at 180, nine ahead of the previous best for this date set in 2009. I am also well ahead of my shortest mileage for 180 birds, currently sitting at 1,911.3 miles as apposed to 2,402.8 last year.

Attachments

• Photo1.JPG
    Photo1.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo2.JPG
    Photo2.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 59
  • Photo3.JPG
    Photo3.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo4.JPG
    Photo4.JPG