• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chat / Redstart ID please. Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India (1 Viewer)

Jaysan

Need some help ID this bird which I saw on 8th Jan 24. It sat like a chat, but I am not sure what it is. The area it was in was a scrub patch next to a lake (Achankulam lake). Thanks for your help.
Jaysan

p.s. Just to add, there was a male pied bushchat near by. Could this be a female?

Attachments

• 1H0A2589.JPG
    1H0A2589.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 1H0A2591.JPG
    1H0A2591.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Thank you:). The image in the helm field guide seems to have a pale area in the abdomen which threw me off...

I thought from memory that yours was fairly typical - but, thumbing through Macaulay now, I see that the underparts are often paler and that the rufous on (belly and vent and) undertail-coverts can be zero (as the Grimmett guide in fact shows).

Need some help ID this bird which I saw on 8th Jan 24. It sat like a chat, but I am not sure what it is. The area it was in was a scrub patch next to a lake (Achankulam lake). Thanks for your help.
Jaysan

p.s. Just to add, there was a male pied bushchat near by. Could this be a female?
Jaysan, your bird is a female Pied Stonechat of indeterminable age; one would need to identify moult limits + look at specific feather tracts to quantify wear to enable precise ageing. One can readily age juveniles as they resemble adult of respective sex e.g males have blacker wings and tail, some already have traces of white wing patch. Juvenile male ML576242461 - Pied Bushchat - Macaulay Library in any case, sex even more obvious with onset of post juvenile moult see
ML234900221 - Pied Bushchat - Macaulay Library

Females are more variable than males but there is also racial variation to consider.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back