• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central Park Snow 2011 (1 Viewer)

IanMcG

United Kingdom
We made a week's tourist trip to New York at the end of October 2011 but, as always, I packed my bins to do some "light" birding in Central Park. On the day we arrived it had snowed in unseasonally spectacular fashion (more so in Connecticut than New York admittedly). The upshot was that, the next day in Central Park, some areas were taped off due to fallen trees, fallen branches, etc.
None the less, there were plenty of birds around, American Robins were everywhere as were, more importantly to me and my wife, lots of Hermit Thrushes (a new bird for us despite several previous birding trips to the USA furhter south). We probably saw about 35-40 HT's, all making the most of the berry bushes they could find. Also good views of peregrine, Cooper's Hawk catching one of the many White-throated Sparrows around and Red-tailed Hawk (Pale Male we think). A few Tufted Titmice, Grackles and Blue Jays were also spotted. Also Red-bellied Woodpecker showed very well.
On a second visit later in the week, as well as picking up many of the same birds, we also found three Golden-crowned Kinglets and, heading up to the reservoir, we saw two pairs of Hooded Mergansers (plus Gadwall, Northern Shoveler, Mallard and about 140 Ruddy Duck.
It was our frist trip to New York, which we thoroughly enjoyed (strangely my wife didn't get the same pleasure out of the Naked Cowgirl in Times Square as I did - aren't wives odd?). :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back