• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CB radios on Scilly (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
Just a quickie...

Off to the Scillies in a few weeks, for the first time in 7 years. Do people still use CB radios at all there? I don't want to dig it out and carry it around if there's no-one to talk to!

CB's have been replaced by two way radios, you can buy these when you're down there from Vaughn Ashby or by contacting him directly.

The decent radios have a range of upto 7miles, a little reduced between islands.

That's great, thanks Steve. I'll leave the CB radio at home then. To be honest it's nearly 20 years old and I don't know how well it works anyway!

The parts for the CB radios that were used on Scilly were getting harder to find so it was inevitable a new type should be found. We tried out some a few years ago in parallel with the CB’s that had a 10 mile range. (newer versions boast 36 miles but with the terrain on Scilly Steve is about right with 7) They seemed to work really well this partly due to the “testers” being the regular birders that actually talked and passed on news, there still remains only a small minority who do this whilst others just listen in. Gone are the days where the CB batteries would be running out just after midday so there is no excuse now. These are from America and are not compatible with the UK ones. With the correct use it is possible to relay messages around all the Islands very quickly but there are definitely some dos and don’ts. I think Neil Glenn has touched on some points in one of the birding monthly’s but here is my take.

Radio etiquette

1—If you ask “can you relay that please” DO NOT reply after someone has taken the time to answer you “thanks for that” as someone else will inevitably be just out of range and want to know the message. Just repeat what the message was its that simple ;)

2—Under no circumstances place your radio whilst on in your pocket. Many an hour has been spent hearing someone walking about from bird to bird with occasional muffled voices and sweet wrappers being opened. Because the radio is usually on constant this blocks the airwaves to those nearest :-C

3—Always periodically check to see the “Vox” on the menu is not activated. This is an ingenious but totally useless function of the radio that when activated automatically transmits when you talk. This can lead to some embarrassing situations. Its one thing slagging someone’s record off to your mates privately but another when the Vox kicks in and you not only transmit to the said birder but scores of others that are in range:eek!:

4—The “call” button. Those who have recently visited Scilly this will need no introduction. This is yet again another useless function of the radio that when pressed (and it even works when the radio is “locked”) emits a tone of varying length and tone depending on the radio model. We call this the “low list button” as those that press it deliberately have never found a rare bird on Scilly or anywhere else for that matter and never likely to. If you imagine when they press it an image of Bevis and Butt-head sniggering you get the picture.

5—There are currently 42 channels on the new radios so if you want a chin wag with your mates or whether to buy the 2 for 1 in the Co-Op use another channel leaving channel 1 for the bird news :t:

Regards

John (aka RADAR)

CB's have been replaced by two way radios, you can buy these when you're down there from Vaughn Ashby or by contacting him directly.

The decent radios have a range of upto 7miles, a little reduced between islands.

Can these be bought anywhere else rather than there? I was planning to get some before I went.

i bought my two way radios from argos

Thanks but do these work with the ones on the Scillies? The prior thread seem to imply US 2-way radios used on Scillies not being compatible with UK ones but if thats not the case then I'll go to Argos!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back