• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CatTien (1 Viewer)

jimmyjames

I cant find contact details for the reserve online Cansomeonehelp meout? I need toook 3 nights there.

Also,Iwas wondering how easy I willfind it to returnto Saigon by bus from the reserve?

Any advice gratefullyreceived.

James

James,

For local information best to contact
Richard Craik at
Mobile: +84 90 384 0057
Tel/Fax: +84 8 412 5504
E-mail: [email protected]
or
Nguyen Hoai Bao,
Telephone: +84.8.9257943
Fax : +84.8.925.7526
Email: [email protected]

This is from Dojistar's trip report posted on BF

GETTING THERE : From HCMC, I boarded the Open Tour Bus towards Dalat. I told the driver that I was heading to Cat Tien National Park so he let me alight at a T junction in a small town about 20 km from the national park. Before I had even collected my luggage, there were already several scooter taxi drivers buzzing around me offering their service. I did not bargain hard enough and ended up paying 50,000 VND for the ride. The small road leading to the park entrance forks several times and I do not recall seeing any signage. It can be very easy to get lost if you are self-driving there. Consider hiring a scooter taxi to lead the way.
ACCOMMODATION : It can get very hot at this park especially at night. It is wise to pay just a little more for air conditioning. The room I got was at 140,000 VND/night and it was essentially a small semi-detached chalet with a private shower

Best to download his complete report - it's really good at and tells you almost everything you need to know about budget birding in Nam.
www.geocities.com/dojistar/v06_ctnp.html

ATB

John

Hi John. Thanks for the advice. Was it just as easy to get backto Saigon? That's the only part I'm uncertain of atm.

James

Yeah sure, I know getting transport is easy but it's painful. Had to get out a bus this morning as they were overtaking at 100 km, killing a dog and laughing like it's the funniest joke ever told. We just decided to get out and catch the next one. Before this a 5 hour bus trip from Dalat to Cat Tien as it was driving incredibly slowly with malfunctioning A/C too!

Anyway, Cat Tien was fantastic - a birders dream - saw 10 - 15 new species each of the 3 days I stayed there.

Am heading to Mui Ne beach tomorrow for 3 days where I don't really expect to see many birds but if you know of any good spots locally I'd love to hear about them! :) I'm quite demanding aren't I? :D

Sorry James, just got back from Da Lat (where I dipped on ALL the endemics). If you are still here, I live in Mui Ne, head for the Fairy Stream. Just go very early as it gets packed later. The area around the Cham Towers is good, too, look for Plain-backed Sparrow, Racket-tailed Treepies, Green Bee-eater, Little Tern, Black-collared Starling.

Cool, thanks. I need plain backed sparrow... shall be here til tomorrow afternnon so can see both places I hope.

Ta v much

know where to bird in Sydney? heh heh, only kiddin'

PS I dipped the dalat endemics too, it's all the rage.

Listen for the call of Plain-backed Sparrow, it is louder and harsher than that of the Eurasian Tree Sparrows.

I went to Cham tower yesterday but it was midday by then. Didn't see any Plain Backed but did have a new Starling in the roof of the tower.

7 Lesser Sand Plovers on the beach yesterday afternoon were good too. :)

I have to head back to saigon at 1pm so my Vietnam birding adventure pretty much ended yesterday. It's been great.

Hi Hanno. :t:

I think the Starling was Vinous Breasted though did not see it closely.

The LSPs were on the beach along by Sunshine Beach Resort and south towards Phan Thiet. All were non-breeding plumage.

Back in Saigon now waiting for a plane this evening. Not much birding to be done here! *sob*. It's quite horrendous to have to wait so long for a flight...

Thanks for all your advice while I've been in Vietnam - it's been invaluable. I hope to return to the north (perhaps next year) but I won't come alone again, too much hassle. Good luck with the endemics.

:t:

Last edited:
Jimmy, if you have that much time to waste, got to the Saigon Zoo. Quite busy, but a few good birds there (in the trees, not the cages:)))

Vinous-breasted sounds good.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back