• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian Gull - Leics, UK (1 Viewer)

Grando

Hi, I visited Albert Village Lake in Leics on a couple of occasions at the beginning of this week. I'd like some ID confirmation, if possible, from my record shots. The bird below (front) is an adult winter Yellow-legged Gull, I think. Does this seem correct?

Attachments

• yl-gull.jpg
    yl-gull.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
In these two photos I'm confident that the first one shows an ad winter Caspian Gull (left-hand bird), and think the bird in front in photo two is probably a 2w Caspian. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• ad-casp.jpg
    ad-casp.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 2w-casp.jpg
    2w-casp.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
can tell about the presumed YLG but the adult caspian looks good. as for the presumed 2cy, also hard to tell for sure from this pic alone, could also be a HG.

Well you asked ....

My thoughts as follows:
For mortals (like me) separating these large gulls is hard enough with a good open-wing/tail photo and/or a crisp side view standing in the open -(along with a place/date of course).
From these photos I think the best you'll get is probabilities. As Lou (who is above us mortals in this category for sure) has said there are a few things that increase the likelihood of the second photo in the second post being an adult caspian - head shape, dark eye, parallel bill with no significant gonys angle - but even then I'd guess there are Herring gulls out there with these characteristics and the British Birds article of March 2010 does not regard any of these as diagnostic in adults, merely indicative or extremely indicative.

As for the other two photos I can't see anything that would give anything other than possibilities - there are features that fit more than one option, or not visible. Just not enough to give a definitive ID I'd say and personally I subscribe to the view that any bird like this should be presumed as the dominant local species (in this case HG) until sufficient diagnostic features can be seen.
HNY
Mick

Thanks Mick. I'm happy with the first bird being YLG from my observations on the day, and also the ad Caspian. I think the 2w bird will have to remain unproven!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back