• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carr Mill Dam, St Helens, Merseyside (1 Viewer)

bradinho

Was just wondering if anybody regularly goes down there and has a good look around.

I have noticed recently that some new visitor interpretation signs have been put up and list some rather interesting birds on there, i can't remember the exact names but I think there may have been a duiver mentioned - what was the last rarity/scarce seen there?

How does the powerboating and watersports affect the usage by birds?

I know that it is important for GC Grebes but does it get much else? I have recently seen lots of BH Gulls, Mute Swans and Canada Geese - anybody know any different? I think I may have seen a common gull on there about 2 weeks ago ... ?

ANybody?

A slight bump but

Lots of BH Gulls, a few Mute Swans and half dozen Canada's ...

Plus the ever present GC Grebes ...

Had a good walk around today and highlights include:

Goldcrest (feeding with Long Tailed Tits)
Nuthatch
Heron x3
Snipe x30 (Resting in muddy field behind the dam)
Grey wagtail
A charm of Goldfinch
Kingfisher
Common Gull x6
Buzzard
Jay

I think I aslo saw 2 tufted ducks flying across

Not a bad mornings work really

Getting a good list for Car Mill now having added red-legged partridge and hobby recently - thats after missing the recent slav grebe, pallid swift and last autumn's osprey!

Getting a good list for Car Mill now having added red-legged partridge and hobby recently - thats after missing the recent slav grebe, pallid swift and last autumn's osprey!

This is my old patch, I was born and bred in Billinge and spent all my weekends and school holidays visiting Carr Mill Dam and the surrounding woods and sewage works, don't know if it's still there but the sewage works was always good for roosting Herons, Water Rail also had Redstart down there.
A old birding friend of mine Dave Owen is one of the wardens around there and I know he's had Yellow-browed Warbler among other things there.
Next time i stay in St Helens I must call down for a look around.
On the Pallid Swift front I heard that it was only a possible, and had'nt been confirmed, the discription of a brown bird with broad wings doesn't fit in with a Swift never mind Pallid.

This is my old patch, I was born and bred in Billinge and spent all my weekends and school holidays visiting Carr Mill Dam and the surrounding woods and sewage works, don't know if it's still there but the sewage works was always good for roosting Herons, Water Rail also had Redstart down there.
A old birding friend of mine Dave Owen is one of the wardens around there and I know he's had Yellow-browed Warbler among other things there.
Next time i stay in St Helens I must call down for a look around.
On the Pallid Swift front I heard that it was only a possible, and had'nt been confirmed, the discription of a brown bird with broad wings doesn't fit in with a Swift never mind Pallid.

Yeah Dave Owen has made himself known to me and has provided some good info - shame he had his phone turned off when I had the hobby in my sights!

The sewage works is still there and I have always felt it feels right for flycatchers and other insect eaters.

The numbers of pied wags there in the winter is impressive and almost always the grey's are around too. Big numbers of hirundines about at the moment too.

Talking like this may make me pay another little visit tonight

In the spirit of listing and after this winter's black tern I am only 7 species away from a magical 100 at Carr Mill - anybody with any news would be greatly appreciated :)

In the spirit of listing and after this winter's black tern I am only 7 species away from a magical 100 at Carr Mill - anybody with any news would be greatly appreciated :)

A Black Tern in winter!

Good luck with your 100, as I've said before this was my local patch as a kid but don't think I got near 100.

A Black Tern in winter!

Good luck with your 100, as I've said before this was my local patch as a kid but don't think I got near 100.

Well .... this winter has been so harsh and long it has confused my senses!

It was probably technically autumn, ther were quite a few local ones (Eccleston Mere, Prescot Reservoirs, Pennington Flash ... in fact every decent wetland in the NW had them!) ... checking notes reveals that it was mid-September - that seems a very long time ago!

I should be on a 100+ if I bothered to get out of bed early enough - missed osprey, green sand, common sand, blackwit, dunlin, avocet (OMG!) amongst others.

I don't think many people bother with the sewage farm but I am ever hopefull of your redstart, flycatcher returning!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back