• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carolina Acosta Hospitaleche (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
Carolina Acosta Hospitaleche is sometimes cited as Carolina I. Acosta Hospitaleche (e.g. here Cyanoliseuspatagonopsis nov. sp. (Aves, Psittaciformes) del Pleistoceno de Punta Hermengo, provincia de Buenos Aires | Ameghiniana). Is anyone here who knows for what the abbreviation I. stands?

BTW: There is a great paper on contemporary women in Argentinian paleontology:
Ariana Paulina-Carabajal, Julia Desojo: Mujeres en la paleoherpetología argentina: Una historia de casi 100 años. In: Publicación Electrónica de la Asociación Paleontológica Argentina. 2022, doi:10.5710/PEAPA.24.06.2021.375.

Carolina Acosta Hospitaleche is sometimes cited as Carolina I. Acosta Hospitaleche (e.g. here Cyanoliseuspatagonopsis nov. sp. (Aves, Psittaciformes) del Pleistoceno de Punta Hermengo, provincia de Buenos Aires | Ameghiniana). Is anyone here who knows for what the abbreviation I. stands?
Melanie, if you follow the Author's name, as it's written/typed in that particular Paper [see "PDF (Español (España))"]: "Carolina I. ACOSTA HOSPITALECHE" ... and its footnotes:
1 División Paleontología Vertebrados, Museo de La Plata, Paseo
del Bosque s/n, 1900 La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
2 CONICET (Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y
Técnicas).
.... which takes you onwards (to, for example/s; here, alt./and/or here), then I assume you end up with: Carolina I. [Ileana] A. [Alicia] Acosta Hospitaleche (Curriculum vitae, here, all in Spanish).

Why not send her an e-mail if you want to know more ... ?

Either way, (and as always) be careful with what you post about her on the internet, as she's still active, still working (simply due to the risk of Identity theft).

/B

Hi Björn, many thanks for the hints. Especially the CV has many interesting material on her academic background.

The contribution of Melanie is great! I liked it because of the links she gives us. The link to the curucilum vitae of Carolina gives us much information, but what I like most is the link to the female paleontogists of Argentina, very interesting, but there is a young argentinian lady that is not mentioned in the paper: Mariana B. J. Picasso. As Patricia studies fossil Sphenisciformes, she is studying fossil Rheidae, but perhaps she is not mentioned is because she hasn't wrote her theses yet.

The contribution of Björn is great! How do you alwayus finf those details?

I must state, female paleornithologists are amazing, not only those from Aregentina, but aldo those from the U.S,A, (Hidegard Howard, Julia Clarke) and other countries. (Cécile Mourer-Chauviré from France) and many others!

Long live female paleontologists!

Fred

The female paleontology in Argentina goes back to the 1920s when Mathilde Dolgopol de Sáez was the first Argentinian woman who got the Ph.D. in paleontology. But it took until 2023 when a fossil owl was named after her. Argentina has a very strong group of female paleontologists, not only Carolina Acosta Hospitaleche but also Claudia Patricia Tambussi and Sara Bertelli who described the very sweet birdy Kelenken.

The female paleontology in Argentina goes back to the 1920s when Mathilde Dolgopol de Sáez was the first Argentinian woman who got the Ph.D. in paleontology. But it took until 2023 when a fossil owl was named after her. Argentina has a very strong group of female paleontologists, not only Carolina Acosta Hospitaleche but also Claudia Patricia Tambussi and Sara Bertelli who described the very sweet birdy Kelenken.
Yes Melanie, you are right, Sara Bertelli is certainly important and I did overlook her, and perhaps other female paleornithologists from Argentina, but still, there are many important female paleornithologists all over the world.

Fred

Last edited:
If you are interested in female paleontology I would like to recommend the book: Annalisa Berta, Susan Turner: Rebels, Scholars, Explorers: Women in Vertebrate Paleontology. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore 2020, ISBN 978-0-8137-1037-2,

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back