• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Rebel VS Nikon Coolpix (1 Viewer)

carjug

I upgraded from a Nikon Coolpix to a canon Rebel about six months ago, here is what I think I know.
The Rebel is a T3 with a decent size sensor, the kit came with a 55-250 lens, and some other stuff that I have never used. It is a much better birding camera than the Coolpix, but that is the extent of it. The Rebel weighs a holy ton, and the software that came with it is infuriating. For anything besides birding, the little coolpix shines.
If you want to save a few bucks, buy some three year old camera magazines and look at what used to be HOT! The Coolpix is now going for 100 bucks, and my Rebel, which has the same sensor size as newer models, was 650 with the big lens. And why worry about the camera, the Lens is what really counts!

The Rebel weighs a holy ton, and the software that came with it is infuriating. For anything besides birding, the little coolpix shines.

In case you are not aware, there is a middle way here. If you don't like the weight and bulk of a DSLR bird photography setup, but want the better image quality of a larger sensor, micro four-thirds cameras are a very attractive option.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/

Best,
Jim

Maybe I should say more.
Nikon drives me nuts. Their products are good, but always seem to leave something to be desired. If you just spend twice as much money, you can have a much better product is what this company seems to say. It has been like this with a pair of binoculars, and the Coolpix camera; both quality products with issues. Nikon is also hard to shop, and Canon was Oh-So-Easy. Truth be told, I wish I had looked for a small Nikon with a big lens, but their promotions were too confusing.
And I don't know what micro-four-thirds is, and I was too chicken to try mirrorless. Maybe five years from now I will upgrade, although a long lens is more likely to make my wish list. The 4/3 thing will be an issue then.
I did one thing right, buying last years model saved me hundreds of bucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back