• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 8 x 20 IS Decision (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
After changing my mind on getting the 12x36 III, I have decided that the 8x20 IS will be my first IS binocular. I like size, and the fact that they stay on for five minutes which will allow easy one handed operation. I also liked what some of you have said about the quality of the views. They should arrive tomorrow, and the weather looks good for a day to be outside observing.

Any tips or quirks I need to know about them? Somewhere I read to not use rechargable CR123A batteries that go above 3.0 volts. I did see some for sale that are 3.7. I bought a pack of non rechargable Energizer 3.0 volt Lithiums to have on hand. Canon claims 12 hours on a battery. That seems pretty good to me.

Any tips or quirks I need to know about them?
My take on the 8x20 IS, for what itβ€˜s worth:

It is your take in that thread that swayed me in this direction. Especially the parts relating to the image quality.

I think it is a surprisingly capable little bino. Canip's review also spurred my curiosity, and I can say that resolution is simply surprising. I mean, my 8x32 EL Swarovision are pretty dang sharp binoculars... But no match for the plasticky IS. It's simply a revelation.

It's a pity you live the other side of the pond, because I'm selling my pair. In the end, the small fov is an important factor (taking into account that magnification related shake is not important due to IS, why settle for a 8x with a narrow -nearly 10x- FOV?), so I think I'll stick to the larger 12x36, because I feel it maximizes the possibilities of IS. However, I can perfectly see someone being happy using the 8x20, with that understated reassurance that no other 8x will show as much detail as what you are experiencing. Somehow like those "sleeper" cars that hide a top performance motor under a most mundane appearance.

I think it is a surprisingly capable little bino. Canip's review also spurred my curiosity, and I can say that resolution is simply surprising. I mean, my 8x32 EL Swarovision are pretty dang sharp binoculars... But no match for the plasticky IS. It's simply a revelation.

It's a pity you live the other side of the pond, because I'm selling my pair. In the end, the small fov is an important factor (taking into account that magnification related shake is not important due to IS, why settle for a 8x with a narrow -nearly 10x- FOV?), so I think I'll stick to the larger 12x36, because I feel it maximizes the possibilities of IS. However, I can perfectly see someone being happy using the 8x20, with that understated reassurance that no other 8x will show as much detail as what you are experiencing. Somehow like those "sleeper" cars that hide a top performance motor under a most mundane appearance.
I like your sleeper car analogy. When I was young I owned a 1969 Chevy Chevelle COPO. It looked like a normal car, something like dad would drive, but I could beat anything on the road, if I was on my game. Muncie Rock Crusher 4 speed trans. Nothing sounded like that 427 and the sound of that transmission. GM only made a limited amount of them. I lived next door to the owner of a Chevy dealership. and he bought one. He drove it for a few months, and then sold it to me. That was a seriously fast car. Those were the good old days of muscle cars. I really enjoyed seeing Mopars in my mirrors.

Thanks for bringing back those memories.

I got them this morning. To say that I am impressed would be an understatement. Optically even without the IS turned on, they are quite good. I was able to do my reading "test" on a sign across the street that has large, medium, small, and really small print on it. I could read the large, medium and small. But the really small print is something that I can only read with binoculars on a tripod. I pushed the button, and wow, I could read the really small print. With EASE. Sharp. No hint of any electronics doing their work that I can see.

They eyecups are perfect for my eye sockets. I can almost completely block out side light. I expected a bit of tunnel vision, with the FOV not being very big, but I don't feel that at all. They are brighter than I though they would be, but they definitely aren't for darker scenarios. I was able to track a squirrel very easily as he scampered around my back yard looking for food to stash. Easy to follow him, and the focus wheel seems fast, and has just the right amount of resistance that is very smooth. When he would stop and stay still, I was pretty much looking at a still photo of him. Impressive indeed. I was following him with the sun to his back, and I got NO flares or glare at all.

I really like the size of these, and the weight. I have fairly large hands, and they cradle very well. I like the indents where my thumbs rest. The magic button is easily operated my my middle finger, by pulling it back a bit so the fingertip can feel the button. At first I tried my forefinger, but that required changing my grip on the binocular. My forefingers rest naturally on the focus wheel. Perfect position.

I put a quick release wrist strap on them. I suppose when I go hiking I may put the neck strap on it. The case they came with is laughable. Canon? Seriously? I guess it protects them a little, but when you open it, the LOUD rip sound from the velcro would certain scare off any birds within a couple hundred yards. And the fabric could definitely be thicker. I know I will be getting a decent hard case for them.

My first foray into IS binoculars. I am definitely surprised at the optical quality. Whatever glass they used, is good glass with good coatings. And the ability to turn hand held views into temporary "photos" is pretty special.

I will be spending a lot of time with these.

UOcYSw1.jpg

8uZF2MO.jpg

I was just able to follow the ISS across the sky with no dancing around in my view, like it does with regular hand held binocular.

My solution for objective caps is not to use any. I have a Canon 10x42 L which came with a sort-of objective cap that does not work very well and I have hardly ever used. On my Nikon 10x42 SE I have Swarovski EL objective caps which work fine, but I could do without just as well.

My experience is that objective protection is only needed during transport, and then the case will do. Otherwise, if any dirt or water gets on the lenses, I just wipe it off. Since the objective lenses are mostly facing down when carrying, not much gets on the lenses.

The 8x20 IS also has pretty deeply recessed objectives so they get smudged even less than most.

A proper eyepiece rainguard I have for all my binoculars though.

Glad you are enjoying your Canons, they are very good indeed.

- Kimmo

I was able to see 4 of Jupiters moons last night. Hand held. With a binocular. Very distinct pinpoints of light. Two on each side. Impressive.

I found that I already own the perfect case for them. The Maven hard case for their 25-30mm compacts. Its a perfect fit. My Maven only came in a cloth bag, so I purchased this case.

RJ2HIV0.jpg

EWyDfvD.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the case, I found that the one from the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 is a tight but doable fit. I find it's a very convenient case, because you can wear it on your belt with such lightweight devices and no one will notice what you have there.

canon820_07-jpeg.1446142

As for the "sleeper car factor" of these 8x20 IS... it's quite a weird feeling when you are standing next to someone with a +2000 $ 8x Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski... and you know that the Canon outresolves any of them with ease, which is no mean feat.

Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I own too many binoculars......nah....there is no such thing.

But being able to get a notification from my astronomy app that the ISS will be overhead in four minutes, and being able to grab only this light binocular, and my jacket and go outside, see it coming, raise them to my eyes and press a button, resulting in a solid view of it, and track it watching the colors change until it goes dark and out of view, is pretty special. Binos on a tripod, while presenting a good view, require a setup prior to the event. This is a whole new ballgame.

This afternoon I watched Robins eating worms from my yard. Again, being able to have a still image is really something. I could see the segments on the earthworms as they picked them up and ate them. This kind of detail is not something I expected. These things have great glass.

Anyone found a good solution for objective "caps"? Looks like some sort of soft rubber "plug" would work.
You don't need 'em. I have the IS 8x20 and use them as an all-rounder going for casual walks, etc. I've never needed objective covers. Mind you I don't use them with my IS 10x42, TFL 8x32 or SE 10x42 either, and asked many years ago on BF if they served any real purpose...a goodly BF member advised using them as coasters for a whiskey glass;)

It's not a question about needing them or not. I want them and am looking for some. Whatever someone's opinion is on whether they are needed or not, a binocular WITH covers will stay cleaner than one without. I have binoculars I have owned for over 50 years, with glass that looks brand new. I use covers.
It's how i roll. I never touch my objectives. With anything. I have no need to.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back