• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 450d + Maksutov-cassergrain (1 Viewer)

dixy

wanting to try digiscoping i have a canon 450D and a maksutov-cassergrain D90F 1000 Astro scope can these go together with the required adaptors???? is the canon a good camera for digiscoping??? if these are no good for each other can anyone suggest a scope and all the other accessories i will require to put the canon on to the scope and what sort of price i am looking at to have all that is needed, i only heard about digiscoping a few weeks ago hence the reason i am asking these probably simple questions but i dont have a clue any help would be appreciated and it would be even better if anyone knows of anywhere that have buy it now pay later options and one more thing do you lose any piture quality digiscoping??
cheers
Adam

Last edited:
Adam, I have a 3.5 Questar which I have used on occasion for some birding photos,, I find it to be too slow on the f stop and the colors are not as good as they are on my TV 85,,

I have not seen many mak-cass used for terrestrial photography,, it can be done but for birding it is going to be tough,,

Derry

I use a Canon 450D Adam and it's certainly a good digiscoping camera. See my thread here where I use it with a 600mm Skywatcher Pro 80ED astro refractor telescope. Connecting the camera to your Mak would be basically the same I would have thought and would only cost around £20 or less for the parts.

To start with you need a Canon T Mount Ring like the one here on ebay. Only £7 which includes postage and posted from the UK.

Then you need a telescope adapter which screws into the T Mount Ring and it has either a 1.25" or 2" nose piece which you push into the eyepiece holder on your telescope. Just buy the right one to suit your particular scope depending on the diameter of the eyepiece holder. You can find the scope adapters on this link here. Scroll down to the astrophotography section where you will see both sizes listed and these are a fraction of the price you will pay elsewhere.

That should get you up and running for very little outlay. You may find that you can't focus on subjects at close range so you would also need a telescope extension tube and these come in 35mm, 50mm and 80mm long lengths. 50mm is usually about right. A cheaper option is to buy a 60mm long macro extension tube on ebay for around £10 and this does the same job.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back