• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x42 fogging up (1 Viewer)

Hi,

As to the Canon 10x42L, part of the problem is, as Kimmo says, that the optical windows are thin.

Where are the optical windows located?

Across the whole of southern England airfields the biggest difference between temperature and dewpoint is currently 6C. The smallest difference 1C.

Assuming the glasses are in fact air tight, just not purged, the dewpoint of the ambient air shouldn't matter, should it? Except of course that external condensation would confuse me when I'm looking for internal condensation.

Regards,

Henning

The optical windows of the Canon 10x42L are the front external glasses.

The Canon 8x25 IS also had front optical windows but the system wasn't said to be sealed or purged.

I just don't know how saturated external air affects a binocular with partially saturated internal air, but in a fairly air tight binocular.

I know some purged binoculars don't have complete removal of water vapour, but I don't know the actual amount of water vapour that remains internally.

With a waterproof spotting scope I suppose that both the body and eyepieces are purged
But the space between the eyepiece and body would contain water vapour.
This could condense on glass surfaces.

The Minolta Mariner binocular has front optical windows and I think one piece bodies, but is I think marked water resistant.

Some Soviet binoculars are not waterproof but don't let in moisture even when placed in water.

Regards,
B.

Hi thanks for the replies and help from you all I really appreciate it.

So I started off in one hide and the widows were all open and the sun was shining in temp was nice not to cold. I then went outside and walked to the next hide approx a 3 min walk with the bins hanging around my neck. The 2nd hide was not in the sun but in the shade and was a little colder inside then the 1st hide. I had only been inside a couple of mins and that's when I noticed the fogging and snapped the pics of the issue. I put my thermal gloves in the shelf and placed the bins on them so front lenses were on the gloves. The fogging disappeared after a couple of minutes and I had no further issues with them they never fogged again.

The dealer has now received my bins and have sent them off to canon with the pictures of the fogging. They could not replicate the conditions that caused the original issues so the pictures can highlight the problem. So it's fingers crossed that they can sort them out. The dealer seems to think it may be a seal issue and need a replacement fitting. I do hope that this cures the fault.

Cheers Stu

Last edited:
The Canon 15x50 IS and 18x50 IS also have front optical windows but may not be nitrogen purged, so why no reports of condensation on the inside of the optical windows?

They are I think marked Water Resistant.

It may be the optical windows are thicker or the air gap larger.

Some spotting scopes have small optical windows at the back of the body to seal the body.
These may prevent certain eyepieces being used.

There have been lists of the different categories of waterproofness on Birdforum, but how the different categories are achieved in practice I don't know.

It is probably an art as well as science.

Regards,
B.

The Canon 15x50 IS and 18x50 IS also have front optical windows but may not be nitrogen purged, so why no reports of condensation on the inside of the optical windows?

They are I think marked Water Resistant.

It may be the optical windows are thicker or the air gap larger.

Some spotting scopes have small optical windows at the back of the body to seal the body.
These may prevent certain eyepieces being used.

There have been lists of the different categories of waterproofness on Birdforum, but how the different categories are achieved in practice I don't know.

It is probably an art as well as science.

Regards,
B.
Hi B

It's really bizarre I also own the 12x36 iii canons and I have taken these everywhere Including the Scottish Highlands in November. I never had a Fogging issue with them and these are not classified as waterproof or sealed and purged.

Cheers Stu

Hi B

It's really bizarre I also own the 12x36 iii canons and I have taken these everywhere Including the Scottish Highlands in November. I never had a Fogging issue with them and these are not classified as waterproof or sealed and purged.

Cheers Stu
That was my experience as well with my 10x42, more than a decade of bulletproof reliability, tropics, pelagics or Arctic, never any hint of fogging.
The condensation only started to appear after they had gone in for repairs of the IS, which had become wonky.
It may be that Binastro has the answer, the space between the objectives cover glass and the front lens was perhaps not purged after the repair and held enough moisture to cause fogging. There was not enough condensation to form bigger drops.

That was my experience as well with my 10x42, more than a decade of bulletproof reliability, tropics, pelagics or Arctic, never any hint of fogging.
The condensation only started to appear after they had gone in for repairs of the IS, which had become wonky.
It may be that Binastro has the answer, the space between the objectives cover glass and the front lens was perhaps not purged after the repair and held enough moisture to cause fogging. There was not enough condensation to form bigger drops.
Hi

Just a bit surprised mine are brand new only 2nd time I used them I guess they slipped through quality control lol.

Cheers Stu

I had this problem in my first pair of the 10x42 L after it had been opened and worked on. The condensation occurs on the optical window because when you take the binoculars out into the cold, that thin glass is the first interior surface to cool down, and thus humidity condenses on it first.

I could avoid this by keeping my mitten over the objective lenses for some five-ten minutes which allowed other parts of the binocular body to cool down first, whereby the condensation happened outside of the optical path. I admit that this was not particularly practical. I had it opened again and nitrogen-purged, which solved the problem.

My current 10x42 L has never fogged up.

- Kimmo
I was considering buying a pair and concerned about the fogging issue. When did you buy your most recent pair and are they made in Taiwan?
Thanks for your help!

I was considering buying a pair and concerned about the fogging issue. When did you buy your most recent pair and are they made in Taiwan?
Thanks for your help!
I personally wouldn't be worried about the fogging. All manufacturers sell a lemon now and then. Even Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss. It just happens from time to time.

Hermann

Let me add that I would buy the 10x42 in a heartbeat - even though they're too heavy as far as I'm concerned and are obviously too dfficult to repair for Canon if something goes wrong- IF the diopter accomodation range wasn't limited to +/- 3 diopters. That's not enough for me on days when I can use my contact lenses.

I do have the Canon 8x20 IS - they work for me perfectly well - and I really like them, even though they aren't optically anywhere near as good as the 10x42.

Hermann

Hi Hermann,

Let me add that I would buy the 10x42 in a heartbeat - even though they're too heavy as far as I'm concerned

Having a bit more experience with mine now, I agree that their weight makes itself felt more than I expected.

The irony is, the stabilization works so well that I keep looking through them for much longer peroids than with my non-stabilized binoculars - which is what makes me feel the extra weight. Not only are my older 8 x 42 lighter, I also don't use them as long in a single uninterrupted stretch, so my arms get more rest. I presume it's the inconvenience of the natural shake of non-stabilized glasses that induce these pauses ... I guess either my eyes need a rest, or the nervous system does, before the arms do.

I did not see any more fogging after than one initial occurrence, by the way - but the weather conditions have never been as demanding as on that day, either.

Regards,

Henning

Thanks for your help!
I have had them repaired under warranty they changed the absorption pads and re gassed them with nitrogen after all the seals were checked.

I have had no more fogging issues I am very happy with them now they work really well.

The Canon service was about 3 weeks from collection to delivery.

They are made In Taiwan.

Even though I had a minor issue I would highly recommend these bins they are amazing much better then my other 12x36 iii canons.

Cheers Stu

I have had them repaired under warranty they changed the absorption pads and re gassed them with nitrogen after all the seals were checked.

I have had no more fogging issues I am very happy with them now they work really well.

The Canon service was about 3 weeks from collection to delivery.

They are made In Taiwan.

Even though I had a minor issue I would highly recommend these bins they are amazing much better then my other 12x36 iii canons.

Cheers Stu
Thank you for your experience! What year did you buy them?

Thank you for your experience! What year did you buy them?
Hi they were purchased November 2022.

It was a silly fault that must of slipped through quality control but don't let that put you off buying a pair of these amazing bins.

You won't regret it.

Cheers Stuart

Hi they were purchased November 2022.

It was a silly fault that must of slipped through quality control but don't let that put you off buying a pair of these amazing bins.

You won't regret it.

Cheers Stuart
Stu...Are you the only one on this board that had this fog problem?

Stu...Are you the only one on this board that had this fog problem?
Hi

I think there was a couple of others on here who had a very similar issue but for the amount of members who have read and commented hardly any similar problems have been mentioned.

It's usually the people who have had a similar issue are the ones who reply take a little read back through the past posts just to put your mind at rest.

You won't regret buying these canon's they truly are fantastic lovely optics and the image stabilised system is brilliant.

Cheers Stu

Hi

I think there was a couple of others on here who had a very similar issue but for the amount of members who have read and commented hardly any similar problems have been mentioned.

It's usually the people who have had a similar issue are the ones who reply take a little read back through the past posts just to put your mind at rest.

You won't regret buying these canon's they truly are fantastic lovely optics and the image stabilised system is brilliant.

Cheers Stu
Stu....I went ahead and purchased them and they will arrive within the next 10 days. I'll update after a few months use. I previously owned the Canon 10x30 IS, loved them but wanted more powerful ones. I went and bought the Zeiss 10x42, spent almost $2,800 but realized that I didn't enjoy them because of the image shake. Looking forward to the Canon 10x42 IS and a shake free image. Thank you for your advice and help in answering my questions, much appreciated!

Stu....I went ahead and purchased them and they will arrive within the next 10 days. I'll update after a few months use. I previously owned the Canon 10x30 IS, loved them but wanted more powerful ones. I went and bought the Zeiss 10x42, spent almost $2,800 but realized that I didn't enjoy them because of the image shake. Looking forward to the Canon 10x42 IS and a shake free image. Thank you for your advice and help in answering my questions, much appreciated!
Hi

You are very welcome I'm so glad you went for a pair you definitely will not be disappointed. Looking forward to hearing the update. Enjoy your new bins.

Kindest regards

Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back