• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x42 fogging up (1 Viewer)

Stu57

United Kingdom
My brand new canon 10x42 had fogging on the inside of the objective lenses yesterday. The temp was 8 degrees so well with in their operating window. The instructions say minus 11 degrees.

The retailer I purchased them from have been amazing in their customer service and have arranged for a Warranty inspection. They are now boxed up and waiting on the courier to return them for checks.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with the canon 10x42 bins?.

I would of thought fully sealed and waterproof binoculars would be moisture free?.

Does anyone have any experience with Canon Warranty repairs, what did you think?.

Cheers Stu

Last edited:
Hi Stu,

The Canon 10x42L IS has an optical window, so I suppose this is where the fogging happened not inside the objectives.

They should be nitrogen or argon purged.

Were both sides fogged up?

I have very good experience with Canon binocular servicing, but I think others haven't.
This is a few years ago.

The temperature is not the problem, it is the dewpoint and amount of water in the air.

Regards,
B.

Hi Stu,

I've had some fogging on my brand new pair two weeks ago, at -2 °C. I thought it was on the ocular lenses, as I had adjusted the straps to a very short length, and figured I was breathing at them while raising them to the eyes. However, the fogging was strangely persistent, and now I wonder if it might actually have been on the inside (or on the inside, too). Guess I've to pay better attention next time it occurs!

Regards,

Henning

Hi Stu,

The Canon 10x42L IS has an optical window, so I suppose this is where the fogging happened not inside the objectives.

They should be nitrogen or argon purged.

Were both sides fogged up?

I have very good experience with Canon binocular servicing, but I think others haven't.
This is a few years ago.

The temperature is not the problem, it is the dewpoint and amount of water in the air.

Regards,
B.
Hi B

Thanks for your reply.

So the fogging was under the front lens as you said that must be the optical window. Both lenses fogged up. I will attach a picture.

Bit worried it may get into the electronics of the main body.

The weather was fine and clear no moisture or mist in the air. A bit chilly at 8 degrees but a nice day with blue skies.

I also own a pair of Canon 12x36 iii and used these in colder conditions with no issues so was a bit surprised to see this type of issue on such high end weather proof bins.

Cheers Stu

Attachments

• IMG_20220109_123549.jpg
    IMG_20220109_123549.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20220109_123600.jpg
    IMG_20220109_123600.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hi Stu,

I've had some fogging on my brand new pair two weeks ago, at -2 °C. I thought it was on the ocular lenses, as I had adjusted the straps to a very short length, and figured I was breathing at them while raising them to the eyes. However, the fogging was strangely persistent, and now I wonder if it might actually have been on the inside (or on the inside, too). Guess I've to pay better attention next time it occurs!

Regards,

Henning
Hi Henning

Thanks for your reply.

How strange maybe the heat from your breath had an affect raising and lowering the temperature in some way?.i know there is moisture when we breath out maybe it worked its way in some how. The strap on my canon's is adjusted so the bins hang low on my chest though so hopefully this would not be an issue.

But being fully waterproof fog and weather proof and purged with nitrogen I hope it may be able to cope with this type of thing.

Are you're pair still under warranty maybe fire them back for a check mate as well.

Cheers Stu

Hi Stu,

Those are big photos. A1?

The lenses shouldn't fog up.
I suppose the binocular is only partly purged and needs to be more fully purged.
I am not sure if every bit of moisture is ever taken out of a binocular.
I'd be interested to know.

In England there is usually quite a bit of moisture in the air even in clear blue skies.

Some places like the Atacama desert or even Arizona are much drier.

Sea side towns in England are particularly nasty as salt is also involved.

I used to stay in the very old hotel in the centre of Taunton as a rep.
The garden at the back was quite dark and I used to do some astro observing with binoculars from there.

I hope that Canon can properly purge the binocular without leaving any dust.
However, a miniscule amount of dust is better than having moisture inside the binocular.

The Canon 10x42L is a very fine binocular, so I hope things work out.

Regards,
B.

Hi B

The dealers I purchased them from have been superb and said they will push for a replacement pair as they have only been used twice and owned for a couple of months fingers crossed.

This is the 1st time I have ever experienced this type of issue in sunny Somerset even the 1st pair of bins I ever bought a 40 quid pair from jessops never fogged up lol.

I hope if they are repaired and re gassed it is done without any dust getting inside or they will back again lol. But I will definitely keep you in the loop as to what happens.

It's a real shame because as you say they really are a fantastic pair of bins the view is amazing and the IS works really well.

You can get some clear skies in Taunton it's ideal for sky watching I sometimes use my P950 for the moon etc.

Cheers Stu

My brand new canon 10x42 had fogging on the inside of the objective lenses yesterday. The temp was 8 degrees so well with in their operating window. The instructions say minus 11 degrees.

The retailer I purchased them from have been amazing in their customer service and have arranged for a Warranty inspection. They are now boxed up and waiting on the courier to return them for checks.

I would of thought fully sealed and waterproof binoculars would be moisture free?.

Does anyone have any experience with Canon Warranty repairs, what did you think?.

Cheers Stu
My first pain of Canon 10x42s developed this problem after they had gone in for repair of the IS, a protracted process with several back and forth shipments.
I finally opted to keep them as a backup and to buy a replacement pair.
Good on the dealer for working to make it right, it is a wonderful glass.
Bullet proof moisture resistance is one of its features, Canon recommends dunking it into a bucket of fresh water to rinse off the salt from pelagics.

Hi,

My first pain of Canon 10x42s developed this problem after they had gone in for repair of the IS, a protracted process with several back and forth shipments.

I'm just thinking about this ... if it's on the inside, the temperature differential should be all that's necessary to trigger this, as the moisture of the ambient air doesn't play into it. Does that sound right?

I just took my pair out on the balcony, going from 21 °C to 0 °C, and no fogging occurred after several minutes. Probably a good sign!

Regards,

Henning

I finally opted to keep them as a backup and to buy a replacement pair.
Good on the dealer for working to make it right, it is a wonderful glass.
Bullet proof moisture resistance is one of its features, Canon recommends dunking it into a bucket of fresh water to rinse off the salt from pelagics.
Hi

Sorry to hear about you had same issues.

Hopefully they can square it away in one hit fingers crossed I may get them replaced instead of a repair I have only used them twice for about 2 and a half hours so they are mint condition.

I see they rate these as waterproof and totally fog proof so they will see the issues on the checks.

Cheers Stu

Hi,

I'm just thinking about this ... if it's on the inside, the temperature differential should be all that's necessary to trigger this, as the moisture of the ambient air doesn't play into it. Does that sound right?

I just took my pair out on the balcony, going from 21 °C to 0 °C, and no fogging occurred after several minutes. Probably a good sign!

Regards,

Henning
Hi Henning

The weather was nice and mild not much variation on temps from inside and outside the hide. That what took by surprise if it had been one extreme to another that may have been a different story. But it really didn't take much for the fogging to appear and 2 minutes resting on gloves and it dissipated.

Cheers Stu

I suppose in a well sealed binocular if moisture remains inside the binocular then a drop in temperature would result in fogging.

I wonder how much moisture remains in the best purged binoculars? 1%?

With an unsealed binocular there might be no fogging short term as the binocular quickly adjusts.
But over time the unsealed binocular may develop moisture problems and fungus.

Regards,
B.

I suppose in a well sealed binocular if moisture remains inside the binocular then a drop in temperature would result in fogging.

I wonder how much moisture remains in the best purged binoculars? 1%?

With an unsealed binocular there might be no fogging short term as the binocular quickly adjusts.
But over time the unsealed binocular may develop moisture problems and fungus.

Regards,
B.
Hi B

I think I have lost confidence with them if I'm honest. I may go for a refund and just keep my trusty old 12x36 iii bins

Cheers Stu

I had this problem in my first pair of the 10x42 L after it had been opened and worked on. The condensation occurs on the optical window because when you take the binoculars out into the cold, that thin glass is the first interior surface to cool down, and thus humidity condenses on it first.

I could avoid this by keeping my mitten over the objective lenses for some five-ten minutes which allowed other parts of the binocular body to cool down first, whereby the condensation happened outside of the optical path. I admit that this was not particularly practical. I had it opened again and nitrogen-purged, which solved the problem.

My current 10x42 L has never fogged up.

- Kimmo

I had this problem in my first pair of the 10x42 L after it had been opened and worked on. The condensation occurs on the optical window because when you take the binoculars out into the cold, that thin glass is the first interior surface to cool down, and thus humidity condenses on it first.

I could avoid this by keeping my mitten over the objective lenses for some five-ten minutes which allowed other parts of the binocular body to cool down first, whereby the condensation happened outside of the optical path. I admit that this was not particularly practical. I had it opened again and nitrogen-purged, which solved the problem.

- Kimmo
Hi kimmo

I have a couple of cheap pairs here and they have never fogged up I was shocked the canon's did especially for the cost of them lol

Cheers Stu

Hi kimmo

I have a couple of cheap pairs here and they have never fogged up I was shocked the canon's did especially for the cost of them lol

Cheers Stu
Hi Stu,

I'm really nervous about mine now :)

So you were coming from a room-temperature environment into a +8 °C outside air environment, and the glasses fogged up? Do you happen to remember how long it took before the fog appeared?

I presume you were carrying the binoculars around your neck when it happened?

My guess it that it would take a while for the lens glass to cool down, while the rest of the binoculars might be warmer so the moisture does not condense out of sight.

In December, I actually went for a walk with the binoculars around my neck, but still in the textile case, which might have provided some insulation ... when I opened the case, this might have selectively cooled the eyepiece lenses. I think that might emphasize the effect, now that I think about it.

Regards,

Henning

- Kimmo
I do think that the repair process is the culprit.
The Canon IS binoculars are a peripheral element in Canon's optical business, so I doubt there are many experienced repair technicians.
On repair, the nitrogen purging goes away and the glass has no desiccant cartridge, so ambient air moisture gets sealed into the item.
Take it from room temperature to below freezing, that moisture will fog the objective cover glass, even if the glass is again fully sealed.

Probably not, but I did not notice it unless it was below zero.

You can check by putting it in the fridge without its case (usually +4 C).

- Kimmo

Currently the local airfield is +8C Dewpoint +4C QNH 1040. Light wind.

So despite a very high barometer reading the air is nearly saturated with water.

This is fairly typical here at all barometer readings.

I don't know how much water remains in even the best purged binoculars.

As to the Canon 10x42L, part of the problem is, as Kimmo says, that the optical windows are thin.

Normal objectives, which are usually at the front of a binocular, are thicker so cool more slowly.

I don't think it needs to be below freezing for condensation to occur.

Canon should know how to purge a binocular, especially a new one.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
Across the whole of southern England airfields the biggest difference between temperature and dewpoint is currently 6C. The smallest difference 1C.

Here it is cloudless, as is much of southern England.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back