• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x30 and 10x42 focusing (1 Viewer)

takitam

Hi all

I had the chance to own the 10x30 for a few days and it was a very enjoyable experience. I liked the flat field, DoF and fast focus. The only things to wish for are a slightly bigger FoV, better colour/contrast and less CA.

I've been thinking about the 10x42. It's 3x the price so I know the value is not there compared to its smaller sibling. But if it gives even more enjoyment...

I've read almost all that I could find about it. People mention that the focus is considerably slower. Based on my experience I'm still not sure if there is correlation between DoF and focusing speed.

My question for people who own both - have you noticed any difference in DoF between these binoculars?

Extra question, was splurging for the bigger brother worth it? ;)

I was interested in the 10x42L for birding because it had better close focus than the 10x30 and 12x36. For me, the change of focus in the 10x42 seemed awfully slow. But it was largely their weight and ungainly ergonomics that caused me to remove the 10x42 from consideration.

My wife has the 10x30 and I find them much more agreeable.

Clear skies, Alan

Hi Takitam,
If you can stand the weight and bulk of the 10x42L, it is well worth the premium price imho.
Fully waterproof, neutral color, outstanding glare control and top tier Canon glass make this a superb combination for birding anywhere, at half the price of the Zeiss or Swaro unstabilized alternatives.
The focus is slow, but very exact, while the DoF is modest. That combination actually is useful for peeling a bird out from the middle of some shrubbery, the near stuff melts away as one focuses further in. But your index finger will get plenty of exercise when switching between near and far targets.
The warranty is poor, three years now iirc, which really catches only infant mortality, rather than lifetime service. My first 10x42L failed after a decade of hard use and the repair did not bring joy. I'm therefore on my second one, but will switch if Canon ever offers a 10x30L series, retaining the good features of the 10x42L in a lighter package.

I had the 10x42 for a while. The view was fantastic, but I got rid of then because of the weight - I'm pretty ancient, and holding them up for a prolonged look at anything was impossible for me. I really didn't get on with the ergonomics either - the IS button just didn't fall under any of my fingers.

I sold them on here and got a pair of 12x36 mk lll. I absolutely love them. They're lightweight, brilliant view, and the IS button is right under my finger when I want it.

To answer your original questions, I never noticed a difference in DoF, but I never owned both bins at the same time so didn't make a direct comparison. The 12x36s have a much faster focus and I prefer it. I probably missed a few sightings when I was cranking away at the focus on the 8x42s.

Hope that helps.

I also found the button on the 10x42L was wrong for my hands, and perfect in the 10x30 and 12x36 II.

I used a 12x36 II as my main birding glass for more than a decade. I replaced them with the new 12x32s, mostly for the better close focus.

Clear skies, Alan

I've owned and enjoyed my Canon 10x42 L for a decade or so, ever since Canon introduced the product. The optical quality is superb. They are heavy and bulky, but the image stabilization is effective. My binoculars have been trouble-free. I use lithium AA batteries in the binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back