• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone recognise these two terns, amongst the gulls. (1 Viewer)

Sandwich breed in carmarthenshire. Almost any other tern species in south wales will usually be a single vagrant and attract birder attention

Occasional 2s maybe but passage seawatches aside yes. Can't think of a group of any other tern species in the last 7 or 8 years. Patch birders here go nuts for any non sandwich tern

Only other one that comes to mind was a day with half dozen black tern at a couple of sites but that was a notable event

I did mean migrant rather than vagrant but even common tern is notable here

Hello,
I agree with Butty, both are Sandwich Terns. Adding to the yellow bill tip, please note really black primaries. Many Common Terns in June have paler (still contrasting dark) primaries with less contrast and they regular get that dark later in the year (yes, not a foolproof feature) while Little and Roseate Tern with black primaries in June have only the outer primaries black =smaller black tip.

And thanks Owene and Butty for the additional info about distribution, regular a helpful (yet biasing) point to consider. End of serious comment.

(No Cabots Tern here? Not serious, but I can't resist, sorry.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back