• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone help...... (2 Viewers)

El Annie

Phew..............
For some reason my web links in outlook are not working, can't open threads etc unless I happen to have website open on desk top. It's not exclusive to forum is happening with ebay as well. Does anyone know how to fix this, it's probably a setting that I've fiddled with accidentally but I haven't a clue which one/where. Cheers

TIA
El Annie :t:

Hm. Can't quite get a grasp on your problem Annie ...

Outlook, you say? Threads, you say? Do you mean links in Newsgroups or something like that. You're not confusing Outlook with Internet Explorer are you?

And why are you fiddling with settings? You should know that's a cardinal sin when we're talking about Microsoft Products - especially Windows!

Have a pink gin gal, and tell us more about it!

;)

hsad one too many pinks Ralp but I'll try and explain meself a little bitter batter bettre oh sod it........
hic hic

OK, in my e-mails I get links to web sites, like with ebay if I've won a bid...... or from here to say someones replied to a thread I've subscribed to...........

the link shows up in blue and up until yesterday I would click on it and explorer would open up a new window at the relevant link. I can't do that anymore, no amount of clicking does the trick!!. However, if I happen to have say for example the forum open on my desktop and I go to read my e-mail and there's a thread reply thingy and I click the blue writing it will open in the window I already have open on my desk top - are you getting this Ralph :)

Clear as mustard......

Annie :)

Sounds like your ISP has lost their Internet link. yesterday many sites were running slow on the NTL service, so perhaps there are/were problems with trans atlantic lines. I'm afraid that's the problem with the Internet, just too many links in the chain.

Paul

Paul's quite right Annie ...

... even Freeserve has been a basket recently.

Me? I'd probably uninstall it and put it in again, but that doesn't always help. Isn't there something in Windows (pah!) where you can repair broken components, like Internet Explorer and the like. Not sure. I have two ISPs - Freeserve and Freenetname. And now Freenetname won't even let me run IE5 or MSN Messenger.

I think I'll stick to cassette-based software from now on. Might take eight weeks to load, but at least it's stable!

;)

I'm not a techie, but I had a similar problem a couple of months back. I reinstalled OE 6 and it began working again. However I then found others had had the same problem, left it and it began working again itself ie it was an ISP problem - Ntl !
Not that the info helps you much, but I'd try leaving it a day to see if it comes right of it's own accord.

Annie,

You could try the solutions listed below, not too sure what OS, browser or version of Outlook/Outlook Express you use,

SYMPTOMS
When you double-click an Internet shortcut in an Outlook Express e-mail message, your Web browser may not start or connect to the Web page.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur for one of the following reasons:
Internet Explorer is not currently your default Internet browser, and the browser that was formerly the default is no longer installed.
A short file name (standard 8.3 naming) is used for the program name associated with Internet shortcuts.
RESOLUTION
Resolving the First Cause
Set Internet Explorer As the Default Browser
To resolve the first cause, and to set Internet Explorer to be the default Internet Browser, follow these steps:
On the Start menu, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.
Double click the Internet or Internet Options icon, and click Programs.
Ensure that Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default is selected, click Apply, and then click OK.
Open internet Explorer, and then click Yes when you receive the following prompt.

Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Do you wish to make it the default?
Links in e-mail messages should then open Internet Explorer.
Outlook Express 5 Only
NOTE: This section does not apply to Windows 2000. This issue is also resolved for Outlook Express 5 by using the Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Repair utility. To run the Internet Explorer 5 Repair utility, perform the following steps:
Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
In the list of installed programs, double-click Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Tools.
Click Repair Internet Explorer.
When the process is finished, restart the computer.
Windows XP
Open Internet Explorer.
Click on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Programs tab.
Ensure that the Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default check box is checked, click Apply, and then click OK.
Close Internet Explorer, re-open Internet Explorer, and then click Yes when you receive the following prompt.

Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Do you wish to make it the default?
Links in e-mail messages should then open Internet Explorer.
Resolving the Second Cause
To resolve the second issue, you need to correct your file association. To do this, change the name of the program associated with Internet shortcuts to the long file name of your Web browser. Follow the steps appropriate for your operating system.
Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows NT
On the Start menu, point to Programs, and then click either Windows Explorer or Windows NT Explorer.
Click View, click Folder Options, and then click File Types.
In the Registered File Types box, click URL:File Transfer Protocol, and then click Edit.
In the Actions box, click Open, and then click Edit.
The Application Used To Perform Action box may display the path to your Web browser as a short file name. Type the path to your Web browser using the full file name. For example, change:

c:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe

-to-

c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe (including the quotation marks).

Click OK, and then click Close.
Repeat steps 3-6 for the following registered file types:
URL:Gopher Protocol
URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol
URL:Hypertext Transfer protocol with Privacy
Click Close.
NOTE: If you follow these steps, you may receive the following prompt when Internet Explorer starts:

Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Would you like to make it your default browser?
Ensure that the "Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser" check box is not checked under Internet Options, or the issue may recur.

If you click Yes, the issue may recur.

Windows 2000
On the Start menu, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
Click Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click File Types.
In the Registered File Types box, click URL:File Transfer Protocol, and then click Advanced.
In the Actions box, click Open, and then click Advanced.
The Application Used To Perform Action box may display the path to your Web browser as a short file name or an incorrect path. Type the path to your Web browser using the full file name. For example, change:

-to-

c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe (including the quotation marks).

Click OK, and then click Close.
URL:Internet Shortcut
Click Close.
NOTE: If you follow these steps, you may receive the following prompt when Internet Explorer starts:

Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Would you like to make it your default browser?
Ensure that the "Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser" check box is not checked under Internet Options, or the issue may recur.

Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional
Click Start, point to All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
Click Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click File Types.
In the Registered File Types box, click URL:File Transfer Protocol, and then click Advanced.
In the Actions box, click Open, and then click Edit.
The Application Used To Perform Action box may display the path to your Web browser as a short file name. Type the path to your Web browser using the full long file name. For example, change:

-to-

c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe (include the quotation marks).

Click OK, click OK again, and then click Close.
Click Close.

Ensure that the Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser check box is not checked under Internet Options, or the issue may recur.

Jeff many thanx for your advice which I have tried - it didn't work but I know why. Husband has administrator privelages and I don't due to messing up the compis several times over :) Just got to get him to do the neccesary and all should be well. I also have discovered how the problem started - got a new ISP and inadvertantly changed things - that's why he's locked me out - lol!!

El Annie :t:

Glad to here your sorted. Nice of your husband...... you should do the same with the locks on the doors, stop him making a mess of the house :)

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back