• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cameroon: Wahlberg's Honeybird? (1 Viewer)

cajanuma

Italy
I took this photo about 10 days ago in the Bafut-Nguemba forest reserve above Lake Awing, near Bamenda, southwest Cameroon, at an altitude of about 2000 meters. The best I can come up with is an immature Wahlberg's Honeybird (Prodotiscus regulus), but this was my first African trip so I have precious little experience. Any help would be very useful!

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 79
Hi Cajanuma.

The only other possibilty is Cassin's (both occur Cameroons.) It's one or the other (note two toes forward) - but I haven't seen either and can't say for sure which.

I hope an Africa expert comes along for you.
Don't suppose you have a rear view?

Good luck -

H

Far from being an African expert....but, unders look wrong for Cassin's - not grey enough. The yellowish wash and white outertail would seem to point to an imm Wahlberg's. Agree seeing the wings at least would help!!

I would agree with Wahlberg's Honeyguide and have seen the species in the area previously though it's a 'good' bird to see!

Hope you saw the Turaco? even though I find it very sad seeing very special montane endemics amongst trashed forest and Eucalyptus plantations. Hope things have improved!

Mark

Hope you saw the Turaco? even though I find it very sad seeing very special montane endemics amongst trashed forest and Eucalyptus plantations. Hope things have improved!

We did, they were rather vocal but took some time to see. I agree with you, although we did very well on our targets here the remaining habitat is so minuscule that I did not enjoy birding here nearly as much as on Mt Kupe. Hopefully the situation is better in more remote areas of the Bamenda highlands, it's hard to imagine many of these birds surving at Bafut-Nguemba for much longer...

Many thanks for the ID input, I have photos of a possible Scarce Swift from there that I will soon post as well.

We did, they were rather vocal but took some time to see. I agree with you, although we did very well on our targets here the remaining habitat is so minuscule that I did not enjoy birding here nearly as much as on Mt Kupe. Hopefully the situation is better in more remote areas of the Bamenda highlands, it's hard to imagine many of these birds surving at Bafut-Nguemba for much longer...

Many thanks for the ID input, I have photos of a possible Scarce Swift from there that I will soon post as well.

I'm pretty confident that the project is going well elsewhere in the Bamenda Highlands especially Oku/Kilim Ijim. Most birders end up at Bafut-Nguemba because its very focussed despite being depressing.
Glad to here you went to Kupe, my favourite and a place I've spent many months working on, its a very special forest. Hope my murals are still intact!
Look forward to seeing the Swift..

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back