• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera or Bins and Scope? (3 Viewers)

Didn't know this thread existed until now but I am going to say something that's kind of against my point- I'm actually an only bin birder during 90% of occasions. In the UK, I've probably only used the camera a dozen of times. I mainly use the camera while going abroad and there's more chance of species that I do not have experience with.
No worries about it being off topic Bewick, thank you for taking the time to type that all out. This has all been really helpful for me, just giving me a much better idea of how to go about birding.

I'll make a separate thread for this, and just watch everything roll. Bewick and Richard seem to need somewhere to debate.
If you get a camera, make sure it has "shake resistance". I have used inadequate canon rebels for years, the 250 Lens with vibration resistance beats the 300 without hands down. Rabbit hole!!!

I don't have a camera, but would like to get one, so I'm kind of looking for advice on how to use it for birding in general.

I talked about this in an earlier post of mine.

In the past I used to prize my own 'binocular views' or 'scope views' highly. Indeed, it is rewarding to concentrate on looking at a bird and admiring its features, rather than having to take a picture right away.

However, when it comes to birds that are hard to ID or when it comes to overseas trips for which I did not study all the expected species methodically prior to my trip, it does become necessary to take photos.

I use a Nikon superzoom. Downsides: image quality a lot worse than a DSLR and the focus is slow. Upsides: lightweight, long lens, and except in the most difficult of circumstances (e.g. warblers in a rainforest or swifts in the sky) I mostly am able to get by. Plus, I'm used to it already, and it can serve as a micro lens for insect photography (without a lens change as a DSLR user would need to do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back